poor chick, neck feathers and skin ripped off...

Goblin Cock

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
hey yall, yesterday i found one of my chicks hiding behind the waterer in the brooder, picked her up and her the back of her neck was a bloody mess, skin gone, muscle exposed. i have no clue what happened, but i guess maybe she was trying to squeeze out of one of the smaller bars in the dog cage im using as a brooder, got her head stuck. and then i imagine the other 4 chicks relentlessly pecked her. she was trembling, in shock maybe. I separated her and washed out the gaping wound w water (dont have bactine as other posting recommended) i thought peroxide, but my wife thinks thats a bad idea. Is it bad to wrap it w gauze? this morning she is still alive. d'y'all think theres anything else i could be doing to help her chances of survival? thnx so much for your time!

20200415_090218.jpg
20200415_094344.jpg

I have a crate like that. The only place I could see that happening is the door side. :(
While gruesome with proper care she should heal up.

Soooo....
Clean it with hydrogen peroxide and rinse, dab dry and put Neosporin on it. There are better cleaners but most folks don't already have them.

I will tag a couple folks really good at helping with these sorts of injuries.....
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive can any of you lend a hand here?

I also recommend a much larger brooder.

Here's an article on healing a chick wound. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/healing-a-severely-injured-baby-chick.71976/

Peroxide is fine for the initial cleaning of the wound, but it kills off new skin cells, so only used saline or soap and water for subsequent wound care. Keeping the wound moist with an ointment will encourage new tissue growth. Not keeping the wound moist will result in halted healing.

Yes, you need much more space for these chicks. They could be living in a coop and run at this stage.

Wrapping gauze around the wound will not do very much other than re-injure the wound as the chick or the other chicks try to tear the bandage off.

wow, thnx so much y'all! i'm feeling hopefull now! gotta get that coop built soon. ive been told 1/2" hardware cloth, but wouldnt 1/4" be more safe (keep out snakes better?)?

Back
Top Bottom