1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor chickies.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Last night, the run was almost finished, so while we were finishing up, I told the boys to get the chikcens and put them in there anyway.

They have been getting WAY too big for their brooder and are now used to being squashed next to each other.

Well, when they first came out, they refused to move. Then when they did, they still moved as a tight group.

It was kind of funny; and kind of sad.

They DO get over this don't they?

[​IMG]

2. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    eventually they will start wandering around more...then when they hear loud noises they will do a nose dive and flatten against the ground. Eventually the lawnmower won't bother them anymore and they discover in the wake of the mowing there are often goodies in the grass

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    They get over it. Have your boys take out some black-oil sunflower seeds and sprinkle it all around the run. Once they figure out it's super yummy, they'll split up to get some.
    Just a new environment....your chickens were being chicken!

4. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    If you just moved chickens that size from a heat lamp, it's very possible they're cold, since they didn't get a chance to learn to self-regulate their body temperatures. Otherwise, they'll get over it.

5. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    They have been inside, in the basement, but without a heat lampf or over a week now.

They went out againthis afternoon, and they did a little better, but now I am noticing that a few are starting to chest bump. I ??imagine??? that this is the start of the pecking order ritual??!!??

6. nicolets

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    I would think, if they were raised together as I assume, they already have the pecking order all figured out.

7. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    The chest bumping is just them playing "chickie bowling", They are most likely cold..... For next time, Before you let them outside, in the daytime in their brooder, have no heat lamp but turn it on at night if they are in the garage or basement etc... If they are in the house, and it is above 60 keep the heat lamp of completley for a week.

1 person likes this.
  8. nicolets

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    They could also be cold; they may be used to each others' heat.

9. nicolets

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    Oops!

10. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Mine have been out for about a week now. They still tend to stay in a group, just the flock mentality I guess. They will split into smaller groups at times, only one of mine will wander away from the group then realizes she's alone and runs back to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by