Poor Chicky

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BekahsChicks, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BekahsChicks

BekahsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    My poor Houdini girl (unknown age but pretty sure she's over a year and as of yet since we got them in August haven't seen her lay an egg) is acting sick..., lethargic, nasty butt and has a blue ish tinge to the tips of her comb. I've brought her into the chicky hospital aka our mud room and she has her food and some electrolyte water. I can't get to town for a few days so I'm hoping this is enough... someone posted on facebook to give some probiotics but all I have are the capsules for humans... anyone tried that before? Or have any other suggestions?

Oh and earlier we got her to eat 1/2 a boiled egg with some EVOO otherwise I haven't seen her eat or drink anything before bringing her in or since...

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What kind of food does she eat? Probiotics are good in plain yogurt. Many chicken feeds now contain probiotics, just read the label. Try to get your local vet to run a fecal test on some fresh droppings if possible to look for cocci and worms. Feel of her crop in the evening, and the next morning, to see if it is empty, full, hard or puffy. Look her skin over for tiny bugs (lice or mites,) especially under the vent. Is there any signs of a respiratory nature, such as runny nose, labored breathing, sneezing, watery eyes? Can you post any pictures? A blue tipped comb can be a sign of not getting enough oxygen due to heart or breathing problems, frostbite, or a serious illness.

3. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    Yet all have free choice flock raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side and grit, they also free range on about an acre of grass. When I brought her in I gave her the same free choice food options and acv/water this morning she had a packet of oatmeal and a boiled egg with shell crushed up. She ate about a tablespoon off a spoon purely because I put it up to her beak and she just kind of nibbled in it. There is very little droppings in her cage and they are very small but normal looking and she fell asleep with her beak in the spoon :( I'm going to go out and check her all over just wanted to let her have a nap after eating since she looks so tired. Unfortunately I don't have the money nor do I know a vet near by (new to the area) that would see chickens. Yesterday before we brought her in did get her to eat about 1/2 the egg and as far as I know that's all she ate. When I got her in the cage she didn't seem swollen or hard anywhere if anything she seemed lighter then normal.

4. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    Oh and no breathing problems... just lethargic mostly with the blue tinge still this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by