Poor chilly girls.(frosty pic added)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Nov 23, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I just went out to turn the girls light out and they had their feathers all puffed out! Poor little things looked cold. I know there not really cold. They are all heavy breeds and their night time coop is an insulated finished building and it's only 30 degrees outside. They just looked kind of forlorn all snugged up.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    That forlorn look might have been beacause you waited until so late to turn the light off. [​IMG]

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Dom, your profile says your a displaced Arizonian but you live around here(PNW) now don't you?

I know how you feel, the first thing I did this morning was ask colleen if the chickens were ok, was around 30 degrees last night too. :eek:

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I bet they were all puffed up because they haven't been able to go to sleep for the last 6 hours.

It really is best to let the chickens go to roost naturally as the sun goes down without a light extending their day.

5. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:I live in Eugene Oregon. When I let the girls out this morning it said 24 degrees outside. It didn't seem to slow them down at all!

[​IMG]
    By domromer

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  6. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:I thought it was fine to extend their daylight hours to 16 hours to keep up egg production in the winter? Am I wrong? I read in wasn't harmful in their first year of laying.

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    if you are going to, i thik people say best to extend morning hours rather than evening.

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I thought it was fine to extend their daylight hours to 16 hours to keep up egg production in the winter? Am I wrong? I read in wasn't harmful in their first year of laying.

It is recomended that you extend the day in the morning. That way they can go settle in for the night with the natual light at night instead of a sudden lights out. [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My girls and boy had to deal with 7 degrees - thats the coldest it was last night in the coop - its 21 right now.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Put your coop light on a timer so it comes on earlier in the morning rather than letting them stay up later at night.

Plus, their feathers puffed out helps them trap air next to their bodies which helps keep a layer of warm air around them - like putting on another layer of a blanket.

They'll be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by