Poor Daisy got jumped by Francis

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm more convinced then ever that our Partridge Silkie Daisy is a rooster. This morning I saw Francis, Lavender Orpington rooster, get on her/his back and peck her/him. It looked like he was trying to mate Daisy, but I've never seen my 22 week old roo Foghorn stand on his pullet Snow White like that. Would 9 weeks old be too soon to start mating games? Is that typical rooster fighting? My WL roosters didn't fight like that and they were 14 weeks old when we got rid of the brothers.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Depends on the hormone level in your flock, it's difficult to say...
    I've had a boy crow at 10 days, can't wait to see how long it takes him to mount a girl...

3. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    My roo jumped a hen two months older than he was, and she was not quite five months old. Listen for crows. I had another one that I couldn't hear crow for a while. Listen, and watch, esp. at sundown. That is when I first saw my roo be manly, in front of the guests too! Oh, and look for eggs soon. The next day, I got my first egg.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for letting me know. I think Francis is sowing his oats - but he just seems so young. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by