Poor deformed chick hatched today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I had several different eggs from different breeds hatching today while I was at work. Unfortunately one of the chicks hatched horribly deformed. Her body was fine but the head looked like it was half squashed with horrible crossbeak and only one eye. The eye that was missing was on the misshaped part of its head. It is fortunately resting in peace right now, but what causes such a thing. I believe it was either a welsummer or buttercup chick, not sure which as it was still very wet when it passed. Is this typical of any breed or could it be the result of inbreeding?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Oh, wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your chick but glad it is no longer suffering. Hope someone will have an answer for you.

Michele.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There are dozens of possible explanations.

I think it's a miracle that it even hatched, most that are deformed that severely don't make it past day 18 and die in the shell.

If the majority of the eggs hatched, then it's most likely a genetic thing, perhaps even a chromosomal anomaly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by