Poor Ebay delivery, sad.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by owlett5, Dec 18, 2013.

1. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    I'm so sad today. I ordered some quail eggs off Ebay and the seller didn't even have the post office require a signature to deliver. I live in Central Maine. It was 10 degrees last night and the postman, not knowing any better, stuffed my unhatched babies in the mailbox.

Every single one of my eggs was frozen, cracked and very dead. ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seller was freelancer098. They have really good reviews and promised a good mix of large eggs. The eggs are a mix of sizes, some pretty decent, some pretty average, some smaller than average. All very frozen. All really, really dead. I'm super sad today. I've had my Brinsea 50 up and running for over a week now so I could learn how to calibrate it just perfectly. I unplugged it today. Very sad.

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

So sorry. That is very sad.

3. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    OMG! My seller required that I pick up at the post office. I'm thinking he should resend with those requirements or coordinate that with your carrier on a resend. How awful.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes its the post man/post office workers. I send my shipped eggs to my friends house because I caught my post man throwing a package of hatching eggs over my gate.

check craigslist for eggs local to you, the hatch rate would be better anyway. Also look at the users info on ebay sometimes you find one that lives close enough to you that you can pick up from them or that at least doesnt have to ship the eggs far.

5. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    X2 on finding eggs closer to home. Quail eggs do not stay viable as long as chicken eggs can, so a single day can make a big difference for them.

Also, Signature Confirmation costs extra. If it wasn't expressly included in the shipping cost, or if you didn't request and pay extra for it then I understand why the seller didn't have it sent with a Signature Confirmation. Next time you buy eggs or any perishable items to be shipped from anyone, let the seller know that you would like the package marked to be held for pickup and include your phone number. Having a package held for pickup is free. Egg sellers aren't mind readers, so if you have special instructions for shipping or marking the package you need to let them know immediately. For eBay you can send a personal message and/or use the "Notes" section when you check out.

I guess that really big questions that are bugging me is what happened with the tracking information that made you unaware that the eggs had been delivered the night before? Was a tracking number even included? How was the shipping box marked? Fragile? "Fertile Hatching Eggs?" Or was it labelled at all?

6. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    So sorry. :-(

I have bought all my live quail from local people through craigslist, and they also sell hatching eggs locally.

7. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    That really stinks.[​IMG] I didn't have to sign for my eggs either, but I'm home most of the time, so I grabbed them as soon as they arrived. I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can try again when it warms up, that way they can't freeze.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a terrible thing to happen.

9. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine

Sadly the box the eggs were mailed in was unmarked. It didn't say "hatching eggs" "fragile" or "keep above x degrees". In fact I had no idea that the eggs had even been shipped as the ebay seller never emailed me to even acknowledge that I'd made a purchase. There was no tracking number since there was also no e-mail telling me that eggs had been shipped. Inside the box with my frozen eggs was just a bunch of crumbled up Russian newspapers. So I wonder if the seller even spoke English.

10. gameguy

gameguy New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    If you can't find locally and want to reorder, at the recommendation of the florida hillbilly I ordered from turnbull farms off amazon and got great birds as a result. Huge jumbo browns and he marked for postoffice pickup and packed them well. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by