Poor eye site

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RWise, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I think I have a hen with poor vision. I have watched her for some time now, she just seems that she has a hard time seeing. She is such a nice bird, she follows me around the yard like a puppy. But I have watched her following my dog the same way. I go out several times a day and walk her around to places that have grass or other food and stand with her while she eats. (The roo will often come stand with us) She likes to be alone, she will not nest with the other birds, nor roost with them. Lately she has started ranging with the flock some (which I take as a good sign) and has started laying (in her private nest in her private roost). Until she started laying she was in a private pen (the fence is 18" tall) that she could have left any tine she wanted. When she started laying I removed the fence, I have tried to get her to roost with the others. I think because of poor eye site she has a hard time getting on the roost, and she returns to her nest to spend the night. She is a wheaton ameraucana IF I can take the word of the person I got her from she will be 3 this spring

I have thought of trying to clip the tufts back around her eyes, but I am not sure that would help. I do push those feathers away from her eyes,,,,,
    Any thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A lot of people clip or tie feathers that are obscuring chickens' view. That's what I would do.

If you want to know what she is, post some pics in our What Breed or Gender? forum.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I know what she is, or at least looks like since she lays a brown egg. I had thought of clipping the feathers around her eyes back just a tad, I'll give it a try and see how she does. (or maybe how I do)

4. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    For those that may run across this thread later,,,
    I clipped her feathers back and returned her outside. She started turning her head rapidly, looking everywhere, the big pretty rooster that she was running from she now stands beside, she ranges with the flock, and has her place in the pecking order. This helped her greatly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by