1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor George has gotten mauled.....I'm so upset!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ponderchick, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ponderchick

ponderchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    I went out this evening to check my birds, when i rounded the corner of the house, I saw my babies out of their coop, and founed 2 of my dogs trying to eat poor George! Hes just laying there, i thought he was dead, but when i shoo'ed the dogs away he got up and ran. I went over and scooped him up and he just layed out in my arms. I put him in a dog crate i had nearby, and then counted and got the rest of my badly shaken chickens back in thier coop. thankfully no one else was hurt. My huband came in and called and founed someone to take the two dogs in, so he took those bad dogs away. I've held poor george the last hour or so . he can hold up his head so I don't think his neck is hurt but he just lays there panting, and i feel his heart beating fast and hes really shaky. Could any of you tell me if theres anything else I can do for him. My 5 year old son is devastated. so if any of you guys know of anything else I can do let me know!Thank you!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At this point we pray that there is no internal bleeding or injuries. Give him H2O and electrolytes. See if he'll eat some mash. If you see any puncture wounds you could put on some antibiotic salve... and then continue to pray for healing.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree. Offer him his favorite treat, mash, whatever he wants. Poor thing.

4. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I second the vitamins and electrolytes. Also maybe boil him an egg and mash it up.

5. ponderchick

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    thank you for your help! i just went out and checked on him....the ants had got in there on him...as if he hasn't got it bad enough. So i brought him in and got the ants off of him, and hes really unresponsive. he is still breathing though, so i've wrapped him in a towl and i guess i will sit here and hold him, and continue to pray that he will make it!

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Sending prayers for George. Hope he pulls through. [​IMG]

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sounds like either shock and/or prehaps internal injuries.

Definately shock though.

Keep him warm and quiet. Can you bring the crate in the house somewhere away from any pests/insects? Keep it dark overnight, give water/electrolytes and see how he is in the morning.

I hope he pulls through for ya!! [​IMG]

8. ponderchick

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Poor George passed away about 20 minutes ago! I had brought him here in the house and was holding him wrapped in a towl when he went. I'm sure he had shock, and probbably had internal injuries also. I know that he is better off, he was suffering, and I'm glad at least hes not in pain. I really appreciate all of you help. thank you for being here for me.

9. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Darn...I'm so sorry you lost George.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by