1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor girl :( (sorry for the long story)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by havi, Aug 16, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    In my coop I had a make shift board holding the shavings in from just pouring out of the coop door, well that lasted about 5 sec. before they pushed it down. So today I was out cleaning my coop and run trying to get all the pine shavings picked up.

One of my RIRs I havent been sure weither it was a girl or boy(I posted on BYC and people were saying prob. a roo with the tail feathers) has been acting real strange lately. Running toward me and making these funny noises. Today she would run in the coop and then run right back out looking toward the backside of the coop. I thought she/he was just trying to get out of the coop and to the cats that were outside the doors. Well when I was cleaning the coop she kept trying to get in there with me and get in my way. Its a small coop and I have to bend over to walk around in it.

Well I sorta have this fear that he/she might try and flog me. (I was flogged by a mean roo when I was younger)So I kept shooing her out. Well this went on about 10 mins or so until I finally got out and let the dang chicken do whatever it was trying to do. Well 5 minutes later she was in one of the nest and clucking. Turned out he is really a she and was just trying to lay her egg.

Now I feel so bad keeping her out so long! This is her first egg too!!![​IMG] I'll post a picture a little bit later. Now I have 3 chickens laying eggs, her and my two EEs. I have these three down and three to go. Another RIR and two BO.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Awww, that would depress me, but at least she held it until you were finished :}

3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    The brown one is the one she layed. This is a picture of my first green egg and my first brown egg.

[​IMG]

This is my first brown egg compared to my 7th green egg thats been layed.

[​IMG]

4. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    [​IMG] wow tht egg is so big and its her first 1 wow think how bi there get

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by