poor girl wants to be a momma so bad!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Queen Chika, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Queen Chika

Queen Chika In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    I have this hen who has been setting on her eggs for months, and they just won't hatch! They are fertile, but she kicks them out about a week too soon to set on the other girls fresh eggs, so they never hatch. What should I do with her?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Do you have an incubator? If so you could put the eggs in it and hatch them and just give her chicks or you could just give her some chicks.

3. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'd get her some day old babies from some place and slip them under her at night. Just keep a close eye on her that she accepts them. I've never had a problem doing this but I'm reading an awful lot of posts on here lately about hens killing their babies (both their own and/or foster chicks)!

4. Queen Chika

Queen Chika In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    I don't have a bator, but if I do get her some chicks, should I separate her from the others?

5. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    She should be on the ground (so the chicks don't fall out of the nest) and, if you can put a chicken wire fence or some sort of fence around her for the first few days, that's ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: