poor girls..questioins about sores/holes on chicken necks pic enclosed

Finslady

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
I have 5 RR. They live in a totally enclosed yard and a house for sleeping and a new house added this summer that they have decided to use to only lay eggs in. My yard is totally enclosed with chain link. Even the top. We did that after a nasty owl attack last year. My problem now is 3 of them have what looks like holes in their neck. One is about the size of a quarter and is almost healed the other 2 seem to be missing feathers and one has a tiny hole. So I guess my question is........weasel? illness? parasite? I don't know what. I washed their necks down with peroxide this morning. They almost thanked me. I have been out of town for a couple days. I don't lock the door at night as I assumed they were safe....so much for assuming....what a moron I can be. Any opinions welcome please. Tonight I am going to force them to stay in the new building and not let them out for a couple days. Poor poor girls. All are still laying and eating and seem happy. No one seems to be pecking each other. The picture is after I washed it. It made the tissue white before I did it it was black as like dried blood. Oh dear I can't get the picture in.
36014_chicken.jpg

Last edited:
We have a pullet who had a nasty gash/hole in her neck near the head. It was deep enough that I could see the muscle. She was healthy and happy in every other way. She is very energetic, and there didn't seem to be much evidence of any pecking from the older hens. I just figured that she might have torn it on something. Maybe your hens found something interesting that's near a nail or piece of sharp wood?

I hadn't thought of that. Being me I jumped to conclusion it was something horrid. lol I'm going out now to check for things. We do have some grass showing here and there where the snow has melted this week. Thanks so much. It never ceases to amaze me how attached I am to these girls. We had a really heavy rain last night so signs will be limited.

If 3 birds have a similar wound in the same area of the body I would suspect a predator is responsible. I would still check for other hazards but it seems more likely that something has com along and chewed on them. Those are the only wounds? Could you have rats or weasels? Rats & weasels can easily go thru chain link.

I think that's an attack mark. As you say, tighten up security, check for rats/weasels especially *in* one of the buildings they use. The one they avoid for laying is my guess. Check up in any loft spaces and look for tunnels. You may have to rake aside bedding for this, and see if there are droppings. Do you have wound powder, like the kind you can buy in tack shops for horses? Be careful when you go poking about, you don't want to get bitten- this is a gloves/goggles task.

Last edited:
My son has decided it was a weasel also since they don't need much room to get in. Fortunately he has traps for them. I have never seen rats but I sure know that doesn't mean they aren't there. I don't have the powder but will get it this afternoon. Have always meant to have it on hand. Off to play Columbo in my chicken coops. Thanks so very much.

Back
Top Bottom