Poor hatches in Brinsea Octogon 20 Eco

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I’m so frustrated. I’ve done 4 hatches this year and in each I end up with shrink wrapped chicks towards the end. The chick fluff seems to be coating the top of the water in the troughs and creating a film preventing water from evaporating. I just had to help 3 chicks that were shrink wrapped. They had pipped and zipped but stuck half in their shell.
I’ve tried opening and closing the vents. I do not open the incubator while chicks are hatching. What I’ve done this time is break all the rules and pull the egg tray out, take out the hatched chicks, and rinse out the water troughs and refill them with fresh water for the last half of the chicks.
Is this a common problem? I’m ready to toss this incubator and get something different. It’s causing so many hatching issues!
Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix the problem?

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with your Brinsea...I have an Octagon, too (Advance) that is my "rock solid" incubator - expensive eggs only go in that one. :)

I find that putting pieces of clean sponge cut to the size of the channels really helps hold the humidity. Wet paper towels that wick moisture from the channels can work, too, but not as well (in my experience) as the sponges. Do you have a second hygrometer to check the accuracy of the one the Eco comes with, too?

I have an extra hygrometer and thermometer. The extra thermometer reads slightly lower but it’s sitting lower on the eggs and not next to the heat. The eco does not come with a hygrometer. Or if it did, it was lost by th original owner. I bought this unit second hand.
I will have to try the sponges when I set my next batch!
I'm surprised that you're having trouble with your Brinsea...I have an Octagon, too (Advance) that is my "rock solid" incubator - expensive eggs only go in that one. :)

I find that putting pieces of clean sponge cut to the size of the channels really helps hold the humidity. Wet paper towels that wick moisture from the channels can work, too, but not as well (in my experience) as the sponges. Do you have a second hygrometer to check the accuracy of the one the Eco comes with, too?

Back
Top Bottom