Poor hen has a giant hemorrhoid, or a prolapsed egg chute, or...?

Screebert

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
Oregon City, OR
My Mom's 5 year old hen smells like death and looks like she's dying. First thing we noticed: she is lethargic, and has a rotten smelling behind. My Mom asked me to grab her from the coop and take her indoors. She did not put up a struggle at all. I put her in a tub of warm water, and tried to loosen up the feces clumps, wearing gloves of course. I got scissors and cut off clumps of poopy feathers, and I nicked a little skin off by accident...on a fleshy lump coming out of her rear end. I can't tell if it's coming from the anus or the egg chute. It looks like her insides are coming out.

We dried her off and had her sleep in the bathtub overnight. She is able to walk around now, and eats, and looks a little better in general. What can we do about the flesh protruding from her a**?

It's okay if she can't lay eggs anymore. She has earned her retirement, LOL. But we are concerned that eggs are / will be stuck in her body, or that she won't be able to poop properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you need to get that prolaspe back inside of her before it dries out, put Preparation H on it and push it back in might have to do it several times before it stays. then it again it might not stay, which isn't good. others say that sugar will also shrink the prolaspe and honey might help. but keep it moist. take her off of layer feed because you don't want her to lay any eggs. put her in a quiet place where the others can't get to her and possibly peck at the prolaspe. I wish you luck and I hope your hen over comes this.

We thought she was getting better, but then she got a lot sicker. By sunset, she seemed to be dying, so we culled her.
Thank you for all your responses.

I am wondering.... this hen had a hump on her lower back for the last few months of her life. We didn't know what it was about, but she seemed to be living a normal life, so we weren't too concerned about the lump on her back. Could she have been egg bound for months, and been acting normally?

Maybe that was the beginning of the end for her...?

Back
Top Bottom