Poor jeff is sick:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypunk92, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    This mixed roo/hen is sick..Idk what she is yet..Shes around 15 months im guessing and no crowing and growing spurs..Hardly any tail feathers..And they are sticking straight up( Maybe hen? DUNNO) Anyway..
    For a month now it has been sort of sneezing or coughing.. like a hack...And every now and theen I see muck coming out of the nose..Anybody have suggestions?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I am assuming he has something respiratory going on and needs to be treated with antibiotics right away. Get the Duramycin powder down at the feed store. Put a teaspoon per gallon in the water every morning using fresh water. Add about 1/8 teaspoon cherry Jello to offset the bitter taste of the antibiotic. Do this for the length of time it says which is probably at least 7 days. Make sure it's his only source of water. Note that the stuff is not very stable that's why it needs to be changed every day. It turns the water red at the end of 24 hours so don't freak. You should start noticing improvement after 2-3 days. If not you might need a plan B which is....? Keep us informed. On the other hand, since it's been going on for awhile, the treatment may be longer and the results a little more gradual.

3. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Ive treated him once.. bit its funny how its ok for a day but back for 2 and visa versa.. its quite odd. He didnt do it till he got here.. my friend said maybe allergic to something?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by