poor kitty her paw!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by smom1976, Jun 27, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok so my awsome cat that is in my signature line is going on 12 years old.. she is the best!

anyway I trim her nails about every 3 monts or so and have never had a problem. This morning I started trimming them and looked and one of her nails curled and was growing into her paw. :eek:

I took some nail clippers and was able to easily clip it out. One snip and it came right out. But the top of the pad is pushed down and divided into two.

I am not sure if this is alarm to take her into the vet. We really dont have the money, My husbands bridge for his teeth just broke and we have to get him a new one.

I put some neosporin on it and she doesnt seem to be bothered by it, but one side looks a little dark. Could be dried blood. It started to bleed when I pulled it out. Or it could be the pad.

I think that I am going to watch it for a few days and see what happenes. Please let me know if anyone has done this and regretted it..

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Keep it very clean with peroxide (neosporin is fine to use but she will probably just lick it off) I don't see a problem with just watching it for now but cats have a way of getting infections and abscesses very easily so be very vigilant. You can squeeze the paw a little every day and make sure no pus comes out. If she is an outdoors cat, I would keep her indoors for good measure.
    If it becomes infected there is no way around getting her on some antibiotics. Hopefully your vet will be nice enough to only charge you a Brief Exam and for the product.

3. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    she has only been an indoor cat.. ocasionally she goes out on the screened in porch.. I just let her off my lap after pulling it out and she seems not to be favoring it at all.. but it is dark looking..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep the pad clean (think litter box) and just keep clipping the nail that digs in as needed. Should she ever need a surgery for whatever reason, you might want to have that one nail removed at the same time...I have a cat with a dangling claw and I have been given the same advice.

5. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I have clipped the claw back and it dug in a little but was still just resting putting pressure on the paw.. like i said it blead just a bit I picked her up looked again and the pad is still about the same size.. there is a knot if you will on the one corner of it.. I am hoping it is just swolen and scabbed ..
    It is not a dry crusty scab but a fleshy scab.. (sorry if TMI)

but the nail itself cut back easily and is not a problem at the present I am going to watch it more closely..

I did read on a website that as they get older this can happen.. [​IMG] my cat is getting old.. she is 12 now..

I got her from the hawaiian humane society when I lived there.. she has gone everywhere with me..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by