Poor little Black Astralorp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frizzle Farmer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    These 3 girls all hatched on 5-16-11. The Black Astralorp is so tiny in compared to the WPR and the BPR. Is this a "breed thing: or is she just simply tiny?
    [​IMG]

2. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    I have a little FBCM that had the same issue. I was so worried that there was something wrong with her but in the last couple weeks, she has grown in leaps and bounds. When the rest of my little guys were 4wks, she still looked like she had just hatched! I thought for sure she would not make it. She is still only about half the size of the others but she is finally feathering out and gaining weight. Hold out hope for this little girl. Hopefully she does as good as my little "Midge". [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Our Black Australorp, Charlotte, also started out runt sized . She was tiny and only had pointy wing feathers at 4 weeks a little blip of tiny tail feathers. She was way smaller than her sisters. Now she has outgrown her sister is eyeing top of the pecking order against her other "sister" Mabel our Speckled Sussex. : )

Here she was at 4 weeks:

[​IMG]

Here she is at 10 weeks:

[​IMG]

4. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Oh wow! Thanks for the encouragement!

5. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Last year we bought a BA, an EE, and a Golden Sex link. The BA was smaller than the other two and we just assumed that she was a little younger. Within a few weeks, she had caught up with the others. Now she is our biggest hen and top hen of the flock. Hopefully, your little one will do the same thing! It is so amazing to watch them grow and change!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by