Poor little chic. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poularde, May 29, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I have a little Orpington about 27 days old. She was the last one to hatch and I helped her out of her egg. She seemed fine but her hocks seemed weak. The seemed more bent then they should of been. She still got around fine. At 2 weeks I noticed one of her legs twisting out.[​IMG] She hobbles and definitely is no as active as her hatch mates. The leg is normally out 45 degrees from a normal position. Her hock was swollen and hot, but that has gone down now. I have been searching for something to help her. I tried to hobble her to straighten the leg. Even with the hobble her leg twists out. She can put weight on it and it does fall into the correct position at times. I am at a loss. She seems to be doing fine except for the leg. She can get around and even bosses the other chics. Can this get better or am I looking at more trouble as she gets heavier? Has anyone experienced this? I hope she can make it. She is the sweetest chic.[​IMG]

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    If she is eating and drinking and pooping normally, she should be OK. She might have a funny leg but chickens are amazing with their little disabilities (one eye, one leg, one wing). They don't know any differently and just get by without complaint [​IMG] It makes sense she's not as active, it's probably not as easy for her to get around. If she's bossing the other chicks, she doesn't sound like the type to let a gimpy leg get her down [​IMG] Good luck with her [​IMG]

3. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Are her toes curled and weak on the twisted leg? If so, she could have a slipped tendon.

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
  5. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Thanks Letisha for the link. Oh and kityacid her bad leg is not curled and she can use it. I think I will have to just wait and see. [​IMG] I might try some kind of brace but I can not figure out how to keep that leg straight forward. She is still doing well I hope she makes it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by