Poor little farm store chickies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by de kippendame, Apr 13, 2012.

1. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    I went to my local farm store this morning to get some more feed and of course the kids wanted to go see the babies. Three water troughs housed sweet little chickies and one had 3 cute little duckies. As I was admiring the pretty pullets they had in one trough, I realized their water container was empty of water and full of wood chips. Same went for their feeder! So then I looked in the other brooders and saw the same scenario. In the fryer pen, one poor guy had a butt full of poo. Made me want to swoop them all up and take 'em home! I almost offered to help them by getting the poor things some food and water!!

I realize they aren't there to raise the chickens, but at least give them some food and water while they are at your store![​IMG] I'm sure the chicks arrive pretty early in the morning, so why not have the brooders ready the night before? This store usually does a pretty good job of having some nice breed selections and I've toyed with the idea of purchasing from them in the past. This makes me want to change my mind! Poor babies![​IMG]

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    that hurts when you see something like that.poor babies.

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I hate seeing things like that.. I once went into our hatchery that we had here (it closed this year) and saw a whole bin full of babies with pasty butt that weren't being taken care of :(

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I hope you said something to the manager so they could rectify the problem.

5. portillo farms

portillo farms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    thats crazy [​IMG]

6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    That's horrible to hear that. Thankfully my TSC is much better with their care of their poultry. I'm thankful to see them giving them water and food. If I were you, I'd make a call to the store manager and make them aware of the situation. Perhaps the person who is responsible for the poultry didn't work that day and the management team is unaware of the situation.

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    X2. :(

8. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I want to go off the grid soooo bad!!

9. brndn0515

brndn0515 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I def would have been speaking my peace to someone in the store, maybe they werent aware

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by