Poor little hen... I dont know what to do.

chickenGRAFFITI

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2009
Florida
I have 8 hens and 8 roosters (showgirls and silkies) separated into two groups. They sleep in the same room but are separated when outside from sun up to sun down. There is no fighting among any of them. One rooster has 6 hens and the other 2 hens are with the other 7 roosters. It is just how they grew up and the flock evolved. The 2 hens with the group of 7 roosters are starting to be mated. They are being mated by 2 of the 7 roosters. I have tried to re-home them to the other rooster and all of the other hens but they do not want to go. He does not chase them but they pace the fence constantly trying to get back to the other roosters and I just cannot stand to see that (there is a 2 foot high temporary 200 foot long fence green wire that separates the 2 groups). I have also tried to keep them in their room for a couple of days but they scream to be let out. How do I re-home them with the 1 rooster group? (I believe that part of the problem is that they are on the bottom of the pecking order with all of the other hens in the group I am trying to put them in)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Which is harder for you to see - your hens getting torn up, or your hens pacing along the fence? Personally, I'd put them with the one rooster and other hens and leave them there until they adjust. They'll be fine after a few days. In my opinion, the pacing is due more to being in a new and different place than trying to get back to the place where they're being overmated. I think it would be awfully stressful for them to be constantly mated by the other roosters (I'd bet that they're being mated by more then 2 of them). Another choice would be to get rid of all your extra roosters.

You are right, I will try and switch the areas the 2 flocks are in and keep the hens with the one rooster and other hens (but in their old area).

Back
Top Bottom