Poor little roo - severe eye injury.. Anything else I should do? Pics!

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Have a 12 week old lt. brahma cockerel that I isolated the other day when I noticed him standing alone with one eye shut.

Thought it might be a respiratory ailment so I of course took him out of the coop, but no sneezing at all that I could see and the sinuses were not swollen. He's not panting or wheezing. He appeared pretty dejected and wasn't eating/thin, so I gave him a shot of tylan and put terramycin in his eye. He pretty much was sleeping a lot, just getting up when I went in to bother him. Don't see any mites/lice and his comb is red, not pale. The other eye appears fine.

Finally managed to see the eye - it appears to be a very severe injury, not a respiratory ailment at all, as I can see corneal damage, very much like a peck injury. After a few days of ointment he is now opening the eye on occasion and eating reasonably well, although he's still thin - the eye is cloudy, so I am pretty much assuming he's blind in that eye. No pus or drainage at this time and from what I can tell it appears to be healing reasonably well. Poop was greenish due to not eating, but is starting to go back to normal now.

I'll put up in a pic in a bit, but is there anything else I should do? Can he go back in with his flockmates? I don't think this is anything contagious, but would an eye injury cause them to go off feed? It's possible I didn't see it when it first happened, as he always looks at me with his good eye..
tongue.png

His name should now be 'lucky', believe it or not.. I had four roos in this coop and two had to go to the livestock auction yesterday just due to having too many boys, but obviously I wasn't going to take a possibly sick animal and now he's 'special needs' so he'll stay unless he becomes a butthead.
tongue.png

Good Side (his beak is covered with yogurt and crumbles LOL):

51848_sickroo1.jpg

Bad Pic of bad side - very blurry, but you can see the white eye.. he opens it then jumps around, still trying to get a good pic..
51848_sickroo2.jpg

Pic of bad side with eye closed:

51848_sickroo3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, if I don't hear otherwise, I'll try putting him back with his flockmates tonight and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully a one eyed roo can still get along ok and maybe the two roos I sold were the troublemakers that picked him.. one can hope.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom