1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor Little Silkie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clair, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Clair

Clair Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    My little white silkie bantam is being attacked by the three other full-size chickens. I have them separated right now while she heals, but don't know what to do about it. The four of them were fine together until the silkie had a broody period for a couple of weeks, since then they keep pecking her if she comes near them and one of them was actually going out of its way to attack her. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are planning on raising a few more chicks in the Spring, would it be a good idea to let the silkie stay with them until they are grown?

Thank you for any help!

2. Crystal Carroll

Crystal Carroll Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Oh no. I just had my only silkie killed. I thought it was a cat that killed her but now I'm wondering if it wasn't the other bigger chickens. It looked like she has been partially eaten by something. When I found her the other chicken were pecking at her dead body. I never thought chickens would attack one another and kill them. All my other chickens ate bantams but r a bigger breed. She was my only silkie.

3. Crystal Carroll

Oct 19, 2013
    All my other chickens r a bigger breed of bantums.

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
  5. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    My large fowl attacked my Silkie when she went broody, both times. She now has her own area, with other Silkies.

6. Crystal Carroll

Oct 19, 2013
    What does broody mean?

7. Crystal Carroll

Oct 19, 2013
    I loved my silkie. She was my favorite of them all. I wonder if they will do that to the other chickens when they come of age? They r bantams as well but bigger breed.

8. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    A hen wants to raise some chicks of her own.

9. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Broody is the word used for a hen who wants to hatch a clutch of eggs. She'll fluff out her feathers, act big and scary, and set on her nest for 21 days until the eggs hatch. [​IMG]

10. Crystal Carroll

Oct 19, 2013
    Oh no. I seen her do this. I feel terrible. I should have separated her. I didn't know they would kill her. Will they kill my other bantam even if they r not silkies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by