Poor looking hens

Vdamore877

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2021
Hi there,
I am new to this forum it is my first post. I am having some issues with my chickens. We have 3 ladies in Phoenix AZ. 1 wyandotte 1 australorp and an olive egger. Recently I noticed the australorp and wyandotte have tattered horrible looking feathers on their backs and tails and have some total loss on the neck and chest. My wyandotte used to be BEAUTIFUL, seriously I'd never seen a more gorgeous hen. At first I thought this was molting but now I am very concerned as the wyandotte looks awful. I have checked them over for mites and lice and can't say I see anything. Also the olive egger still has gorgeous feathers. I recently changed foods over because I had a very dusty feed and wanted to try pellets. Well they hated that idea and picked the grains from the pellets and tossed pellets all over the coop for weeks despite my best efforts to coax them. Aside from that it has been extremely hot in Phoenix. I have a chicken bath that is just a tub with a brick in it for them to cool off which I change daily as well as a misting system which I only use on days 110°+. They are all drinking well acting normal and eating their normal feed which i have switched them back to. They get some greens in the morning and frozen fruit or melon rinds a few days a week. They turned a year old in May and I have yet to see a full molt. Could this truly be a molt? I was thinking bugs but now I am wondering if they are malnutrition from the food protest. I have had exceptional layers since day one. I get an egg almost every single day from every chicken and that has not changed at this time either. Please help this first time chicken owner. I am so worried for my ladies.

Thank you all
20210730_180341.jpg
20210730_180340.jpg
20210730_180302.jpg

Attachments

• 20210730_180253.jpg
    20210730_180253.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 1
Hmmm, if they are laying eggs they can’t be molting. Do they have enough space? They could be bullying each other, or eating feathers if they don’t have enough calcium. Did you notice any change in their egg shells?

Welcome to BYC! sorry to hear about the feather problem. FWIW, A couple of mine are molting early also. One is a pullet hatched last October and the other hatched august (almost 2 yrs old), even though she molted late september last year. Last summer and this summer have been hot. Sounds like you've done pretty much what everyone does (at least) to keep your girls cool.
BTW, here's the Arizona thread, there are some great experts there also:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/page-7838

Welcome to BYC! sorry to hear about the feather problem. FWIW, A couple of mine are molting early also. One is a pullet hatched last October and the other hatched august (almost 2 yrs old), even though she molted late september last year. Last summer and this summer have been hot. Sounds like you've done pretty much what everyone does (at least) to keep your girls cool.
BTW, here's the Arizona thread, there are some great experts there also:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/page-7838
Thank you! I appreciate the link. Still learning to navigate the site !

Hmmm, if they are laying eggs they can’t be molting. Do they have enough space? They could be bullying each other, or eating feathers if they don’t have enough calcium. Did you notice any change in their egg shells?
They could also need more protein, feathers require protein. A feather fixer formula has more protein, or added meal worms, or fewer other treats.

Back
Top Bottom