Poor Mama Henwyn

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Oct 9, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My Austrolorpe went broody, so I ggave her 9 eggs, which she hatched. Then she started molting like crazy and I'm sure she lost a bit of weight. I like to lett my hens raise their babies, but I have to take them away at about 2 weeks so I can bbecome Mama and socialize them to me and people and that is hard when real Mama is around. I always feel bad at first, cuz they peep so loudly, but the babies always gget over it after the first batch of scrambled eggs and I become Mama, no problem.

But Henwyn is not taking it well. This is Day 2 and she is still pacing the fence. She can't see or hear Babies, but she is stressed for sure and its breaking my heart. My other hatching Mama usually just let's em go once she's back in with the flock. I'm sure she will get over it, but I still feel bad for her. She didn't even want the worms I dug up specially for her.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    What's the purpose of taking them away from her? To socializie them with humans doesn't seem to be much of a reason. They'll take to you if mama does. Why not just let her raise um?

3. chickRVT

chickRVT New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Would it be ok if you gave her back one atleast? My girls LOVE raising their babies and it is so much easier to keep them in the flock. I am sure she would love having one back.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by