Poor man's chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DLCShark, Dec 20, 2014.

1. DLCShark

DLCShark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Here is my version of a chicken tractor.
    [​IMG]
    So far it has cost me zero dollars. I am hoping to raise meat birds in two or three of these. Tell me what you think.

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

How big is it? Is it really light?

3. DLCShark

Mar 18, 2014
    It's about 6 x 4. Maybe 6.5. The next one I'm going to make is 4 x 4.
    As far as weight it's not heavy(I can lift it completely off the ground alone) but it's not and easy thing to do.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. Free Feather

How many are going in there?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is it made of?

6. DLCShark

Mar 18, 2014
    I don't know yet. I'm prepping for the spring when I order my meat birds. So I'd like to put as many as I can without over crowding and fit food and water in as well.

7. enola

If you are planning on putting food and water containers inside of the tractor, you are not going to have much room for chickens. Maybe 6-8 chicks when you are getting close to butchering at 8-10 weeks. I think you have a good plan in mind that needs some tweaking. Protection from the weather and predators is very important.

8. Free Feather

Even with six or eight you would have to move it a lot, at least every day. It would make a great grow out pen for chicks, though.

9. DLCShark

Mar 18, 2014
    I plan on putting a tarp over half of the tractors. 5-8 birds per tractor would be cool with me. My first order will be 25 birds and they will be spaced out amongst the tractors.

I don't know what gauge wire this is. It was left over from building the fence for our dogs. If it can keep them in I think it can keep predators out. Not to mention we don't have a real predator problem other than my dog. The wood is reused 2 x 8s.

10. enola

A 4 X 4 pen would not be big enough for a feed & water containers and any chickens though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by