Poor Marble got bitten by a dog. VetWrap?

OneLostHen

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Houston TX
I went outside earlier this morning to check on the hens.. All was perfect.
Went back out a few hours later and could tell something was wrong.

Dog attack.
Thankfully everyone is alive. But my girl Marble took a bite or two on the back.

I put medicine on it and wrapped it with vet wrap. Is this sufficient?
I wrapped it tight enough so she couldn't walk out if it, but not super tight. They just started to roost for the night, I'll check on her a bit later... Poor baby.

Anything else I can do for her?

It will have to be cleaned thoroughly. Dog mouths are really, really dirty. My cochin was bitten by a dog two weeks ago, and despite my scrubbing everything I found with soap and water and treating with Neopsorin and peroxide etc, she still ended up having an infected puncture wound. You might look into penicillin G.

I would also isolate her so she has a warm, quiet place to recover where the other chickens won't peck her wounds. I've heard that you should keep her wounds uncovered and draining, so maybe not the Vetwrap? I ended up fashioning a sort of loose cape so that she can't peck the wounds, but they still get good airflow.

Good luck! Check out my posts below for pics and great advice from others.

Good luck; keep us posted!

Angela

Thanks. It's not a puncture wound. Looks like it ripped feathered out as well as some skin. She is still very active, eats and drinks fine.

Left the vet wrap on for now. They are sleeping. Going to check on it tomorrow morning and probably take it off then. Don't want it on too long.
I thought I read on another thread that neosporin was bad for them because of some ingridient?? Therefore I only rinsed it with salene solution..
She had recovered from an injury similar to this, but the wound didn't look as deep as this one

I had a a chicken recover fully from a bite like that--worse actually.. I used diluted Betadine (one-tenth Betadine in water) to clean it, then Neosporin (NOT the pain relief kind) on top. Left it open but separated her in a dog crate for I think it was almost two weeks. More Neosporin morning & nght. Gave her scrambled eggs & moistened feed and yogurt and such. electrolytes in the water. Started putting Blukoke on it when she started picking at it--that became essential when she rejoined the flock. She regrew her feathers and is back to being the life of the party! Good luck with it!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

I'm hopeful for her. She acts totally fine. The other birds have some pulled feathers but no wounds and are acting more shocked than her.
I'll clean it again in the morning and get some non pain relief neo..
Just feel bad for them. Especially her... We are in the process of building a better coop and run. Can't finish soon enough.

Thanks. It's not a puncture wound. Looks like it ripped feathered out as well as some skin. She is still very active, eats and drinks fine.
Left the vet wrap on for now. They are sleeping. Going to check on it tomorrow morning and probably take it off then. Don't want it on too long.
I thought I read on another thread that neosporin was bad for them because of some ingridient?? Therefore I only rinsed it with salene solution..
She had recovered from an injury similar to this, but the wound didn't look as deep as this one

Neosporin is actually okay just not the pain relieving kind( I am a vet tech) . This one has a toxic ingredient to it. Personally, I would use nitrafurazone this stuff is great!

I wouldn't vet wrap the wound because it needs to heal by second intention; letting it breath is the best. Once it starts crusting over your in good shape. I love betadine for disinfectant. For the last ingredient an antibiotic should help your chickie out :)

http://emtgel.com/

you can find this at your local farm store. it works WONDERS

a few weeks ago we had a coyote attack
we put the gel on the bites and NO BANDAGE it would stick lol,
he already has his feathers back within 5 weeks.

sure, its expensive, but it lasts. we put it on him twice and i only used a bit of it, well worth it.

I would go with the blukote, a drying agent. Keep the wound uncovered and wash twice daily at first with betadine or, even better, chlorhexidine, then hit it with the blukote or a nitrofurazone spray. Most of these items are made for horses. I use wonder dust, but that's just because its what I have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom