Poor Mel lost her eye.(No pic but graphic description)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jenjscott, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    We came home tonight and my poor 10 yr old Boston Terrier was walking around with her right eye hanging out on her cheek. We couldn't get hold of the vet so my husband finished the enucleation. (he is a surgeon by training) The optic nerve and inner muscle were severed. He injected it with lidocaine around the areas still attached, which wasn't much, and severed the outer muscles and some connective tissue. He put one stitch through the upper and lower lid. We gave her 250 mg penicillin. I will call the vet in the am and see what we need to do next. She was a very good patient and accepted some leftover chicken immediately while still on the operating table (the kitchen table). We let her down and watched her a few minutes, then fed the dogs and she ate like normal. My guess is we're going to end up having to put a bucket on her head, but time will tell. Our guess, knowing her, was that she snapped at the 75 pound lab once too often, but we'll never really know for sure.

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I am so sorry about your poor dog, but I have a question. What do you mean by "putting a bucket over her head" . Sorry, I just don't understand.

3. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Quote:I'm thinking she means like a cone? So she can't scratch or paw her eye. I've seen homemade ones out of ice cream buckets.

Poor doggie, she sounds like a tough girl taking the surgery so well!

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Its amazing how animals can suffer threw so much pain and act fine,I hope your dog does ok [​IMG]

5. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Yep, sorry, many dogs will end up scratching at the eye so much it won't heal. I have heard them called queen ann's collars, cones, buckets, something to keep her from messing with it.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks......I figured that was what you were talking about, but "bucket" just through me off. Around her they are called cones. I sure hope your girl get's better soon.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is a shame! Glad your DH was able to perform the surgery painlessly. [​IMG] Poor little bug-eyed dogs tend to have those kind of accidents. [​IMG] My MIL had a pug and pekingese that both had something like that happen.

Hope she is doing ok!

Shelly

8. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Mel spent an uneventful night laid out in the bed, without seeming to have discomfort. I took her to the vet this am and she said what they usually do is trim the eyelids and suture the eye shut. Otherwise the socket can be an endless debris catcher with chronic problems. So she will have that surgery later today and I will pick her up tomorrow morning.

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I was wondering if they were gonna say that. My rat terrier lost her eye and they had to do the same to her. She was perfectly happy with just 1 eye. I hope your girl makes it ok today and is able to come home tomorrow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by