1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor Momma Duck...Stuck In The Pool PLUS Other Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Nov 1, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I woke up this morning, 30 degrees out and go to let out the ducks after being gone for the weekend, and even though the pool was not frozen over, momma(Oreo) couldn't get herself out of a small shallow kiddie pool which she was able to get out before. Well, Ming-Ming(daddy duck) was able to get in/out easily, he knew she couldn't and tried encouraging her. She tried, but she just couldn't jump out, I think with having 1 good leg she really got water logged and so cold in her limbs she didn't have the strength to hop out on her one leg. So I grabbed her and she was so terribly cold I wrapped her in a towel and brought her inside turned on the heat and placed her over the heating vent and let her primp herself, all the while she is whimpering as she is primping herself. Usually she won't let me near her but today she knew, she knew I was there to help and she cuddle into me and so far hasn't even attempt to hobble away from me, she lets me come to her pet her, and just check on her. This just confirms I did do the right thing by taking her eggs the last few days of incubation, because as someone stated, forgive me for not remembering who, she probably wouldn't be able to gather them and keep them warm. Also confirms that I'd be best to let her and dad in the garage during the winter or the basement, or not have a kiddie pool out in their caged area during the winter but let them in the house in the bath tub to let them primp themselves and clean, then disinfect the tub afterwards, or fill the kiddie pool in the basement and let them use that to do their self cleaning. I felt so badly for her, I'm not sure how long she was in the water like that trying to get out, we were gone up north for the weekend and my MIL was watching over the animals, she probably thought the ducks were ok outside. So, thinking of alternatives for this winter with momma Oreo. It's been 2hrs since I brought her in and she is still primping herself and pulling out some down feathers. While daddy is checking out his son's/daughters through the cage.

Also, when should I or can I introduce the 3wks old ducklings to the 1wk old ducklings? And how do I do that?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

First of all get a concrete block from the hardware store! All my pools have one in it. Just a precaution, and it help other animals they may fall into it out.

Ducks don't need swimming in winter at all. A concrete mixing bin with water every other day will do just fine. So leave the water business outside. Also I bet they are much happier being outside and I don't think you are doing them a favor by bringing them inside. Perhaps for the really cold stormy nights.

I would try to put the babies together and see how it goes. There will be some pecking, but the longer you wait the worst it will be. You can put them together every day a little bit so they are getting used to it.

3. FunnyBunnies12

Thank you Katharina, I want to keep them outside because they are use to it, and I want them to build up that resistance, but it scared me and usually I do have a ramp and so forth in there. I do have a mixing concrete tray to put out there for them, my dh and I are going to Lowe's to find lumber to build a better shelter for them, so I now know what I can do and should do. I do plan on putting a pool tarp over the trampoline as well so it keeps wind, freezing rain, snow out of their area. I will also buy bales of stray to put around the lumber to insulate it better then what it will be. But pool for the winter is out! I will also start introducing the ducklings tonight, I have here and there but with pecking and some charging. Right now I do have their cages side/side so they can see each other and get use to each others presence through the bars.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I often have ducklings together up to two weeks apart in age with no trouble. Keep an eye on them at first to be sure they're not getting trampled, but they should be fine--ducks are such peaceful creatures. Sorry about your cold girl. [​IMG] I agree with katherinad, they don't need swimming water in winter and will do just fine outdoors with a bucket as long as the water is kept from freezing.

5. FunnyBunnies12

Ok, how long should I expect dominance over the babies to continue? For most part everyone has been getting along, but the 2 older ones will chase and go after the babies and show their "pecking order". But as I said for most part everyone seems to be getting along. Should I just keep them in there and let them work it out, or continue this daily until there is no "pecking order"?

The my boys did put the older babies with momma, and she at 1st chased them, but quickly accepted them in their turf, it's a beautiful day so the boys brought them outside to much in the yard. So I was just wondering.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If they're not causing injury or pulling feathers, etc., I'd let them just work it out. But do keep an eye for the potential for damage--if you start to see pulled feathers, then it's time to separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by