POOR NAKED RUNT CHICK **Update newpics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseyjess, Oct 18, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    OK so here are pictures of my poor Naked runt chick. No she or he may not be a runt just possibly a Bantam. But all my chicks are 5 1/2 weeks lotsa feathers fully featherd and this one. [​IMG] The poor thing it is healthy eats great as you can see isnt bloody from being pecked drinks poo is great still only has down on its head!! But look I dont have to really say much but HELP and LOOK [​IMG] !! Oh the babies are getting Purina Flock Raiser for those wondering.... Anyhow help with this poor girl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I want it.

3. D10chickenmom

D10chickenmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Marysville
    Awww I love it! Is it possible it came from two frizzle parents? I heard you can get a naked chick if you have two frizz;e parents. Something about the genes that cause frizzling. I think its adorable. You can maybe make a sweater for her! [​IMG]

4. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:As far as two frizzles I dont have a clue I thought it was an EE when it came in. IT was out of my order from McMurray as far as the sweater pretty much that is about it lol! That is why its all white I had to bring her inside into my chicken hospital cause it went from 88ish on Friday to 40 tonight so I figured bring her and a few feathered friends inside lol! I was afraid that just putting the light on the cage the others might push it to the side and then she would not be warm enough!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:As far as two frizzles I dont have a clue I thought it was an EE when it came in. IT was out of my order from McMurray as far as the sweater pretty much that is about it lol! That is why its all white I had to bring her inside into my chicken hospital cause it went from 88ish on Friday to 40 tonight so I figured bring her and a few feathered friends inside lol! I was afraid that just putting the light on the cage the others might push it to the side and then she would not be warm enough!

Holy baldness.............she's cute though! Is she big enough to use a sock and make her a jacket? I think I might be asking the hatchery what they sent me, out of curiosity.

6. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    Such a cute lil' thing!! [​IMG] I couldn't help but notice that her first picture is of her on the stove!! [​IMG]

7. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:Glad you guys think she is cute I think the poor thing is well sad looking. [​IMG] The stove oops yeah that was the first spot I came to when my daughter walked in the door with it to get it out of the cold! [​IMG] Guess it really could have warmed it up quick [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  8. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida

Holy baldness.............she's cute though! Is she big enough to use a sock and make her a jacket? I think I might be asking the hatchery what they sent me, out of curiosity.

Holy baldness is right I noticed pretty quick she wasnt feathering out like everyone else I just figured she was slow and would catch up HA HA. I think she has two feathers about the size of my pinky nail on her wings.

As far as contacting the hatchery, I did and I was told that they dont keep track as we got the "Special assorted" Package and that included say left overs of all different types..........

9. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I think she/he is sooo cute. It will probably be your favorite! Let us know how it does! [​IMG]

10. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Oh, the poor little sweetie! I second the recommendation to make her a little sweater out of a sock. I know I've read several posts where people done that, and there are pictures somewhere on byc.

My thought was also maybe the offspring of a couple of frizzles. Sounds like they're getting good feed, and if the others are doing well, I would bet it's something genetic with the chick. I have seen posts over the last year or so where others had chicks that feathered out really really slowly, like this, looked naked for a while, but eventually did fully feather, so there's hope. You might want to give this chick (or even all of them) a little extra protein, like hard-boiled eggs or something.

In the meantime, you've got a very interesting unusual chick, and it'll probably end up being your fave. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by