Poor neglected baby chicks

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I had posted an ad on craigslist looking for a few more cochins and other bantams i wanted to add to my flock and a lady was kind to give me some info on a place in anoka that sells baby chicks( i wont give the name in fear of being banned or something) and much to my surprise they had baby chicks, ducks, and turkeys in these what looked like rubber horse trofts or something about 5 bins or so full of babies being suffocated and trampled not to mention half didnt have any heat source or any feed or water, most looked half dead and some were dead, in fact one was sooo dead it had to have been in there for a few days at least and the other babies who were in the same bin were eating it due to the fact that there was no feed for them! Is this legal? God i wanted to cry i felt soooo bad for these poor defenseless little fuzzy dolls. I also forgot to mention that they were less then 2 ft away from various different fertalizers which are extremely toxic just the fumes in that place gave me an instant headache. Lots of babies were missing eyes, had huge spots on their backs where they were picked on and bumps and welts on their heads from being stuffed into a bin tooo small to give them enough room to even move! I am soooo disgusted with this. How can anyone do this and get away with it. Needless to say i walked out with no chicks because i was afraid they would be sick and give it to the rest of my flock. Is there anyone i can call to report this place? I would hate to see these poor little chicks suffer any longer. If anyone knows of any resources in the minnesota area that would be great.

Oh wow ... how awful! I'd have called the manager over and told him/her off right there. Then, I'd have called the Humane Society and told them.

If you don't have a local Humane Society try animal control or ask your local police department who they would recommend you call.

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Quote:
I agree with Chirpy on this one. See who you can contact locally.

And please know that we (the Staff aka Admins and Mods) don't ban people that lightly here. So relax and have fun here, okay?!
hugs.gif

Dawn

I would report them to the police - someone outside the store. There is no excuse for this kind of mistreatment. And if you don't get results, call your local paper/TV station and report their horrid conditions.

The Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley, MN has a Humane Investigator that can look into this. I would contact them immediately. His number is 763-489-2236 and the shelter's main number is 763-522-4325. Thank you for caring about these little ones. You will probably need to leave a message but leave as much detail as possible and your contact info. Good luck!

Call the manager, the police, the Humane Society and contact the local commissioner for that district. Clearly they are not being given access to fresh food and water, they are over crowded and leaving a dead one in is just disgusting.

Last edited:
I talked to the manager and asked him how he could live with himself knowing he is neglecting these poor little babies, He replied "they are just fine" as he says oops a dead one and pushes it aside leaving it in the bin with the other chicks. I will be calling the humane society this morning to deal with this. I have been just sick thinking about what these lil babies are having to go thru... I felt like shoving as many of them in my pocket as i could and running out the door with them! Thank you alll so much for your support and resources.

Mother of 3 japanese hens, 4 cochin banties, 1 rir bantie, 1 light brahma, 2 cochin ameraucana mixes, 4 cochin mixes, and 6 babies hatching now all in which will be japanese cochin mixes

Last edited:
The last thing I would do is call the Humane Society.Those people don't even want you to own animals.Don't give them the added publicity.They would like nothing more for us to not own any animals.

I'd talk to a manager and ask why they want to sell chicks in such bad shape.If not the manager then the owner.

Maybe keep at um till somethings done.

Edited for content https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!​

Last edited by a moderator:
The Humane Society DOES want people to have animals. That is their whole point....adoptions! Clearly you have had a bad experience with humane societies but but they are still a good resource for humane investigations in this situation.

You might be talking about your local Humane society shelter.The organization is the one I'm talkin about.Totally different organization.

Yes your local shelter wants you to adopt.But organization doesn't fund those shelters.

Back
Top Bottom