Poor pecked RIRs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PotterWatch, May 6, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I picked up two poor pecked RIRs at the feed store today. I have them separate from my other three chicks (posted another thread about that titled When to combine groups). They have feathers missing off their backs and tails (one worse than the other). Is there anything I can/should do about the areas that have been pecked? What do I do if they continue to peck each other?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Well there are a few ways to take care of this.........

1) You can take a pair of clippers and clip off the very ends of the beaks. This will not hurt them. Just clip the tip.

2) You can apply Blu-Kote to the area which is also an antiseptic wound dressing and it helps in healing but does not guarentee no more pecking.

3) There is a red lotion, I believe its called Apple bitter, or something like that. It is red and you apply it to the bird and when the others peck on it, it will leave a bitter taste in the other birds mouth, thus stop the pecking, supposly.

4) Keep them isolated from the others until the feathers grow back but take them to where the others are daily so they can see and get used to them.

Hope this information helps.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What do I do if they continue to pick at each other? I have seen them pecking each other a few times but don't see any blood. How do I know if I need to isolate them away from each other?

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Just keep the two that were pecked away from the others. If you see that they are pecking on each other, put a barrier between the two. Just keep them in touch with the others so when you re-introduce them it won' tbe such a shock.

Try the Apple Bitter, I think thats the name, if they are pecking each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by