Poor Pekin baby!!' I am so worried

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmoreau, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    My poor Pekin!!' I went out to check on them before bed, and my 4 week old baby gander grace, was walking funny. I picked her up and noticed she was holding her right foot higher than her left. I brought her inside and was checking it. It didn't look broken, and wasn't crooked or anything, bit her middle toe had a dark bruise. She quacked loudly when I touch squeezed it, but no other place. I put her in the kiddie pool ad she swan fine, but couldn't climb out of the stairs cause she wasnt putting too much weight on it. I am really worried and I am overly cautious with them. I don't know how it happened.

What could be wrong? What should I do for it? Could it just possibly be bruised, do they bruise like that???
    Please help me I am really scared.

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    First thing is take a few deep breaths to come your self down [​IMG]

second thing, could we get pictures? I am subscribing to this topic [​IMG]

3. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    I am trying to stay calm. Thank you for wanting o help me. I am still new and havent figured out how to post a picture yet, and I am on my iPhone, so I don't think I can.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

She probably just twisted it or got it caught in something. Keep her on something softish and keep her quiet for a few days. SOmetimes this stuff just works itself out. Dont panic! Terri O

5. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    They free range in my backyard and have a pen with hay, should I keep her confined, or just let her be, she is still walking and eating, but just slower. Do I need to confine her or just Let her be. Should I tape her foot up or something. I have a vet, but def could not afford that bill!!

6. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I have a feeling YOU would feel better if the duck is confined, so try that and watch the duck for a day... let her out to free range tomorrow for a while and see how she does. Still eating and walking only slower are still good signs it is just a bruise or something that will work itself out.
    Good luck with her! [​IMG]

7. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    Woke up this morning to go check on her, and she is barely walking no. You can tell it hurts her. She is limping really bad when she does walk. If she is moving it, could it still be broken?

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

You have a duck called Gander Grace. Poor thing wont know if its a he or she, duck or goose when it grows up [​IMG]

9. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    All my animals have g names, my other Pekin is named goose, which turned out to be a boy.., then when I got him a friend, we thought it was also a boy. So we named it gander, about 2 weeks ago we figured out, she was really a girl. So I renamed her grace, but she still only comes to gander.

10. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    ok I have found out how to get pics on her, i am taking a few right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by