Poor poor Abby....dog issues any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a female spayed dog Freckles, I also have a female spayed dog Abby.

Freckles "likes" Abby A LOT!!! Freckles is constantly mounting Abby and trying to do the "deed"

History:
    Freckles never did this before we got Abby
    Abby is smaller then Freckles
    Freckles is 12
    Abby is 9mons
    both dogs were spayed before their first heat
    both dogs have been through puppy training and obedience training (Abby is still in training)

Why is she doing this?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    i do believe shes showing domanice(sp) over your other dog.....i found this on a website
    Question: Why Does My Female Dog Mount Other Dogs?

Answer: It's not what you think, although the sight of a female dog (or even a neutered male) mounting the back of another dog (of any gender) can be a tad shocking.

Mounting is not necessarily about sex when it comes to dogs. In most cases (neutered males and females) this behaviour is a dominance play, meant to force the other dog into submission. It is also just play, no deeper meaning to it at all. A more dominant dog may use this frequently to establish himself as higher in the heirarchy, but between dogs who have their pack position well-sorted, it is just a wrestling move, and a brief stint on the top will not elevate a lower-ranking dog to a higher position unless a challenge is clearly won.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I agree, its a dominance issue..

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the others, dominance.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    It's a domination thing--they are etablishing their place in the pack. If they are fairly new to each other, they will calm down eventually, but, being dogs, they will occasionally try to re-establish pack order.

This is important for humans too. You must alwasy make sure that all humans in your house are at the top of the pck--dogs are ALWAYS at the bottom--even lower thatn chickens etc. Of course you don't establish dominance by mounting them, but by deing dominant, and when disciplining them, by putting them in the submissive position( on their backs).

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yup, dominance. She is trying to establish that she is higher in the pack order than Abby.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Exactly. [​IMG]

8. mekasmom

mekasmom Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Quote:Freckles is showing dominance over Abby. Freckles needs to be pushed off, held down on her side or back (gently but firmly) until she stops struggling. She is not pack leader, you are.
    Freckles is probably just a dominant dog that scoots her feet after she pees, and acts dominant in many other ways too. Somebody has to be the boss, and she wants the job.

9. Rosalind

Rosalind Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    It is about dominance, but ideally you want them both to be completely submissive to you.

We sort of push our dogs off the other one when they do that, and yell "Bad touch!" Now they stop humping when anyone yells "Bad touch" at them.

10. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:Freckles is showing dominance over Abby. Freckles needs to be pushed off, held down on her side or back (gently but firmly) until she stops struggling. She is not pack leader, you are.
    Freckles is probably just a dominant dog that scoots her feet after she pees, and acts dominant in many other ways too. Somebody has to be the boss, and she wants the job.

Yr right she does scoot when she pees we call it butt surfing.. and when she hears "no butt surfing" she will stop the scoot before she gets started

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: