1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Went out to feed and water all the animals at 9:30 this morning, and noticed my favorite roo, King Strut, wasn't seeming too perky----his tail was drooping, although he was eating and drinking. I picked him up to check him out, and discovered that his wattles had ice coating them! I guess it was from him getting a drink, and it got down to -9F last night. Also, he had already got a little frost bite on his comb, and I did notice his comb kind of flopped over yesterday, but didn't think too much of it. I brought him in the house, and he's resting in a dog crate with his daughter who has a crippled leg---I figured if one of the hens was coming in to keep him company, it should be her. They have food and water, but he seems wiped out, and she is terrified, so they aren't eating or drinking right now. Later today I will scramble some egg for them, but I think for now they just need peace and quiet. I sure hope the roo makes it, as he is the favorite of the hens. But, if he doesn't, I guess I don't need to get rid of the roo that I've had separated from everyone else because he tried to overthrow King Strut. I can only imagine what Hubby is going to say about chickens in the laundry-room. Oh wel, they'll have to stay there until the outside temps get back to more normal----at least above freezing!

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Poor King Strut! I hope he heals.

3. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    some times it helps to coat their combs and waddles with petroleum jelly to help prevent frost bite.
    hope this helps, and he gets better

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks, guys. I shouldn't let myself get so attached, but I remember when I first brought King Strut home as a chick with 4 little pullets. He was already thinking he was king of the roost, stamping his little feet at me when I would go in the pen to feed and water them. He's always been such a proud roo, and it's sad to see him like this. I sure hope he just got to cold, and he's not desparately ill. [​IMG]

5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Sadly, King Strut didn't make it. I think there must have been something wrong with him besides being too cold. He didn't have any symptoms of anything, just seemed droopy and his flopped comb. I'll miss him, but it did solve my problem of having to separate my 2 younger roos from him all the time---they were having to stay in a cage inside the coop at night, and then I would move them into the duck pen every morning after I let the ducks out. I had caught them beating up on him about a month ago, and they'd been separated ever since. At least he's not suffering, and got some babying before he died. [​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure he knew he was loved. [​IMG]

7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you for your kindness.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer