Poor rooster. It's been a tough winter!!!*PICS*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 77horses, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Our poor rooster, Marty. He's such a sweet boy and he's so pretty....until the winter took it's toll on him! Now, what use to be a gorgeous RIR rooster, with full bright feathers, long pretty tail, perfect yellow and slim legs, and a big, beautiful comb is this: [​IMG] [​IMG]

BEFORE winter hit:(notice the beautiful, big red comb)
    [​IMG]

Here he is with his girl, before everything started to get FREEZING! Notice his pretty and perfect feet/legs and feathers:

[​IMG]

AFTER winter hit:

He has awful frost bite on his comb. It was worse; on his wattles, etc. but now has healed some. His pretty, red comb is ruined! I hope it heals back up soon!

[​IMG]

His feet look TERRIBLE!!!(and painful) His toe was bleeding a lot and I didn't know what to do, but it healed(we had to keep the older, mean hens away; they kept pecking at his poor feet!! [​IMG] ) *ignore that he is missing a spur; it suddenly and strangely fell off last summer

[​IMG]

His feathers are still bright and pretty-looking, and his tail is still OK and it is nice and long, but he was at his peak in winter, just before it started to get cold.

We brought him inside and gave him some warm scrambled eggs; he loved them! [​IMG] I've tried putting some vaseline on his comb to sooth it, but it didn't change much. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another pic of him, sitting on the chair while waiting to be fed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to help him heal faster???

Oh and just for fun, thought I'd throw in a pic of one of the Buff Orpington pullets, named Caramel. As you can see, this little girl LOVES to cuddle! She's so sweet. She's already showing signs of broodiness, along with her sister. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, any advice is appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow, his comb may fall off and start to puss out. Did you do any thing to maintain it now it's like that.

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Master S.M.C :

Wow, his comb may fall off and start to puss out. Did you do any thing to maintain it now it's like that.

What can I put on it??? All I know about frost bite is that vaseline will sooth it when it's all hard... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry...​

4. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    poor thing i know how he feels the winter had about dont the same thing to me [​IMG]

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

HOLY COW!!!! Sorry...we Floridians know nothing of frostbite. He is still a gorgeous fellow. So sorry!

6. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    I have a rooster that has the same thing on his comb. Will it be ok?

7. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Do a search on 'dubbing' and you will find out what you might want to do. I have some frostbitten combs/wattles, too. Not as severe as your boy, but nonetheless, it must be watched. I guess the frostbitten part may just fall off itself, but be aware that you might deal with infection.

8. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Sorry, I don't have any advice but I hope he gets better...
    [​IMG]
    And I still think he's pretty handsome [​IMG]

9. Smiling Farms

Smiling Farms New Egg

Feb 20, 2009
    Morristown, TN
    Should get a heater in chicken house. I hate cold weather, but its part of the farming package here in TN. Thus we figured why should any of our animals suffer harsh weather? We turned a garden shed into a heck of a chicken house, It has 8 nesting boxes and pretty much looks like one big bird house, LOL... Well we put a heater inside, hung it on the wall and they seem to like it alot. Our 1 duck and married geese also make their way to the house. Then we lock it up every night and re-open a 6 Am..

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Yea we turned a coal shed into a chicken house. We've been working on building a new, safer coop in the garage, next to the other one that's in there. Then we could move them from the small, coal shed coop to the new garage coop. Some BOs and their rooster live in the current garage coop, that's why we need two. But it works much better in there because it's more heated. Our other rooster who lives with the BOs doesn't have frost bite at all.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by