Poor rooster. *PICS*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 77horses, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Our RIR rooster, Marty, has had a very tough winter. [​IMG] Frost bite, comb injuries, etc. Right now he looks awful! The tips of his terribly frost bitten comb are now falling off, which is a good thing because new points are growing and his comb is beginning to finally heal. But he's missing one toenail for some reason, and he has some black stuff on one side of his face. We suspect it's tried blood from his comb bleeding again, since around his face his feathers feel hardened from dry blood. I feel so bad for him. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are some pics, from before winter hit, during winter, and now:

Before:
    [​IMG]

During winter:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

What a difference! I hope that during Summer he will regain his beautiful, tall comb. [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hun sorry to tell u this but his comb will not grow back [​IMG] Keep an eye on him to make sure infection doesn't set in from the frostbite. Poor fella looks miserable [​IMG]

3. Where in New England are you? I'm in RI. We had a rough winter, all my birds look awful. I cannot wait for it to warm up and they look better.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:aww. [​IMG] That's too bad. But he's still a sweet rooster. [​IMG] That will probably look strange; he will have a comb with no tips... that should be interesting!

6. Yes, his comb won't grow back. Watch it closely, you may have to consider dubbing him...

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:No. That one was posted about a month ago; and this one is an update on what he looks like now. That one was asking what to do about his frost bite, and this one is about how he's doing now. Oh and I forgot to add a question to my 1st post: will his toenail ever grow back?

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    His toe nail may not grow back if it broke off too far down, if not than yes it will grow back. I got a cochin roo with no tips on his comb, sure he looks strange but he is still a cutie pie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by