Poor roosters!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Oct 16, 2013.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My 3 roosters have got big bald areas on the sides of their necks where a hen (as yet unknown) is pulling out their long neck feathers (hackles), and eating them.

What can I do to stop this, and why is it happening?

I noticed it on the white rooster first, so I put him in a cage to re grow the feathers thinking the other roosters did this to him. While he was in there the other 2 roosters have been plucked on their necks.

The roosters are not fighting......I am sure its a hen. I sat and watched them for a hour yesterday and today, and can not seen which one is doing it!!!

The white rooster was re growing his feathers nicely.......they looked like hedgehog spikes growing. But he got out of his cage and in the morning the feathers had gone again!!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try upping the protein. Often that's the cause of feather eating. Feathers are about 90% protein.

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    thanks for that advise. I have started feeding them crushed up peanuts now a couple of times a day....sprinkling them over the run floor.........I know they are high in protein, and the chickens talk a long time to search out all the small pieces, so I hope this keep them interested and they forget about eating the roosters feathers.

What other foods are high in protein (and not expensive)?

I have noticed that some on my eggs are not as good quality as they used to be. The yolk breaks easily (they used to make lovely poached eggs). Can this be a sign of too little protein too?

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding them?

how old are they and what variety?

RobertH

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Grower feed is higher in protein and the same price. Sunflower seeds are high in protein also. Table scraps in the form of meat and fish - free.
    If you feed scratch, cut way back on that - it's low in protein.

6. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Ah they eat a lot of 'scratch' as they fly up eat the food for the doves.

Maybe they are eating too much of that instead of the layer feed they have. There is also chick started for the young chicks.

I will get some sunflower seeds for them too.

They are all different ages.....from new hatched chicks to birds about 3 years old.

The white roosters feathers are growing back fast, and he will be back to normal in a week or 2. I think they can't resist the pin feathers....so hopefully when he has fully formed feathers they will leave them alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by