Poor roosting choice - okay for winter?

HopefulHens

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
MA
Hi! Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

my coop and run are predator proof. We have an Omlet auto door. As you can see in the pictures, the chickens roost on top of the coop on the hardware cloth instead of IN the coop. This makes cleaning harder and sometimes they lay an egg up there and I can live with those things but my preference is they roost IN the coop. Will the hardware cloth freeze their feet in the cold winter? I am thinking of removing the hardware cloth and revising the roosts in the coop or blocking that top section all together? Any thoughts on my roosts in the coop - clearly they don’t like them very much. I am thinking of moving the Omlet door to the run so they can get access to the outdoor paddock and then leave the little coop door open. The paddock is hot wired and has goats and ponies so they are pretty safe out there during the day. Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• 95B675AE-CD2C-4EAF-982F-E4E8A9B76233.jpeg
    95B675AE-CD2C-4EAF-982F-E4E8A9B76233.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 586A93EB-FAFC-48E7-875E-BDA2F8B0F5ED.jpeg
    586A93EB-FAFC-48E7-875E-BDA2F8B0F5ED.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DB0F34B1-08B4-41C2-BCCA-034EE41989CC.jpeg
    DB0F34B1-08B4-41C2-BCCA-034EE41989CC.jpeg
    921.6 KB · Views: 26
  • D2C8C709-1E80-4B0B-BB3D-A8D334323B95.jpeg
    D2C8C709-1E80-4B0B-BB3D-A8D334323B95.jpeg
    912.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 23EFC198-40BA-4841-BF64-E2DF6270DA94.jpeg
    23EFC198-40BA-4841-BF64-E2DF6270DA94.jpeg
    584.1 KB · Views: 25
  • A502BF78-FBC6-4051-B8BC-B0C2284E6C7F.jpeg
    A502BF78-FBC6-4051-B8BC-B0C2284E6C7F.jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 22
  • 4BD88909-3055-4BC5-B9B8-58E168293025.jpeg
    4BD88909-3055-4BC5-B9B8-58E168293025.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 19
I would just hardware cloth off the top section to keep them out. That should inspire them to roost in the coop...
x2. Or even chicken wire, since you only need to keep the chickens out of that area while maintaining that nice ventilation you've got. I really see no benefit in keeping that space open access to chickens at all.

Obviously you'll want to clear out all the shavings up there first. :)

Only give them access to the areas you want them in. When my Cinnamon Queens were still pullets sometimes one would fly up to the rafters. I finally had to put up enough obstacles so they would not try to fly up there. I didn't have to put chicken wire just enough things to make flying up there a bad choice. If your coop is predator proof then chicken wire will work to contain the chickens in the areas you want them to be in.

JT

Can you raise the roosts? It's their natural instinct to get as high as people to sleep, so if there's some place higher than the roosts, they'll sit there.

my coop and run are predator proof. We have an Omlet auto door. As you can see in the pictures, the chickens roost on top of the coop on the hardware cloth instead of IN the coop. This makes cleaning harder and sometimes they lay an egg up there and I can live with those things but my preference is they roost IN the coop. Will the hardware cloth freeze their feet in the cold winter? I am thinking of removing the hardware cloth and revising the roosts in the coop or blocking that top section all together? Any thoughts on my roosts in the coop - clearly they don’t like them very much. I am thinking of moving the Omlet door to the run so they can get access to the outdoor paddock and then leave the little coop door open. The paddock is hot wired and has goats and ponies so they are pretty safe out there during the day. Any advice is welcome!
Thank you Everyone!! I am going to wire that space off and add in a higher roost of different material than the 2x4. We’ll see how it goes!!!

didn't mean a solid door panel to close it up entirely, especially after just mentioning putting hardware cloth up but apparently everyone jumped straight to that assumption. :rolleyes:
I didn't assume a solid door, however I don't know if I'd want "stuff" sitting in that area above either, mostly because 1) I'm short and my hubby loves to thoughtlessly put things up high where I can't even see it 2) wouldn't want to put too much weight on the wire 3) wouldn't want to block off any of the airflow. Of course it's not like you'd want to put anything big or heavy up there, but even something relatively light like some empty feed bags could reduce the ventilation provided by the space.

I would remove the wire above the coop and just block off the wall where they’re getting up there. Then raise the roost in the coop. That will give them more height in the coop and keep them from being on top of it and making it a mess. And if the run is also completely covered I would just keep the coop door open.

Back
Top Bottom