Poor Shirley

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LovelyBirds, Jan 1, 2013.

1. LovelyBirds

LovelyBirds New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    I have a hen, named Shirley, that has been sick for some time. This summer was hotter than usual here and she is a buff orpington so she had the hardest time. She wouldnt get up and was panting all the time. Twice a day I gave her a cool bath but that would only help for about 30 minutes. All 20 other chickens are fine but she never recovered. After that, she has been getting worse slowly. Please help me help my dear pet. BTW: She is 4 years old and I do love her, but if she sounds bad enough, please do tell me if I need to put her down.

Here are the problems:

1) Her comb is so light that it's almost white.

2) She doesnt open her eyes for long at a time and always looks tired.

3) She can't lay eggs.

4) She doesnt move around much. (making the new problem of over-grown nails)

5) Her feathers fall out year round.

6) She isn't starving but has lost weight.

7) She doesnt really want to be around the other birds anymore. She gets as far away from them as possible.

Please tell me if you know the cause or how to help.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Check under her feathers for mites and lice. Also have you ever wormed them??? What does her poop look like??

3. LovelyBirds

LovelyBirds New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Also her tail is always down.

4. LovelyBirds

LovelyBirds New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    I dont know what her poop looks like because she is always under the house and hiding, since this summer. No mites or lice.

5. LovelyBirds

LovelyBirds New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    No worming either but if she had worms wouldnt the others? at least one other bird

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    She has been like this since the summer??

7. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Catch her and put her in a carrier. Examine her and monitor poop. Internal parasites (coccidia as well) take nutrients from the body of a hen (slowing down egg production to even zero) also causing pale pigmentation. If it's bad they will fluff up and won't eat. But before we jump to conclusions, monitor her first.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by