Poor silkie comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tropical Chickies, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Could you silkie experts give me your honest opinion about my boy. I was going to use him for breeding until his comb grew in. What are your thoughts? Do you think this trait might not be passed down to offspring if he mates with a pullet or hen with a good (normal) comb?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    If its just the comb I would try him with a female with a very dark or black comb. See what hatches.

But you'll need to also pay attention to her wings, his are not quite as tight and horizontal as they could be.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is really nothing wrong with his comb. Shape is good, although the colour could be darker, but it is still within the acceptable range. His wings are more of an issue, although I am not sure how difficult they are to correct.

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    IMO wings are a bigger pain to fix. I think the comb shape is ok, the color is a bit lighter than I like but, as Sonoran said, it's not red.
    He's a bit leggy, but not bad. The wings are what I would be concerned about.

5. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Okay, I think I will just sell him. He is not the quality I thought he would be when I bought him. I am learning!!

Thank you all for replying, I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by