Poor Silkie: I'm Just Frustrated

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MrsHeeg, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MrsHeeg

MrsHeeg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Aurora, NE
    I just need to vent here. I hope that's okay. I have a 6 month old silkie bantam that nicked his wing on a piece of chicken wire sticking out of the run a little more than a month ago. When we found him (about 20 minutes later) the other chickens had him cornered, pecking at him and he'd pretty much just given up. I brought him inside in the enclosed porch, and once he started healing up, let him hang out in the wire dog kennel alongside the other chickens (3 hens, 1 rooster). We put him back in the coop/run the day before yesterday and they picked on him a little bit, he mostly just stayed up in the coop, scared to go out around the others.

This morning I went out to let them out of the coop and heard him inside the coop screaming, opened the door and the other chickens came out with blood on their beaks [​IMG]I opened up the side door of the coop and they had been pecking at him on the same spot on his wing as before (It was healed up really well, you couldn't even tell anything had happened when I put him back in with them). Now he's back in the dog kennel and I have no idea what I'm going to do with him. I don't want to get rid of him, and honestly don't know anybody that would want a chicken (even one as cute as him!). I had the thought of building just a little coop for him where he could still be near the other chickens but just blocked off. But I worry with winter coming that he'll get too cold by himself and freeze (I live in Nebraska, it can get pretty cold here).

I mostly just needed to vent about my situation to other people that knew about chickens and might understand my frustrations. I know it's hard to reintroduce a chicken to the flock, but it doesn't seem like the other chickens are going to let up on him, and I can't watch them 24/7. If anyone has any advice for me, that would be awesome.

Also, it's mostly just the three girls picking on him. My BR rooster doesn't really seem to care much, which was my concern initially (as I realized the silkie was a rooster once he was in the enclosed porch) and I thought the two would have problems.

Sorry about my long rambling...like I said, I just needed to rant a little bit. Hopefully we'll get something figured out. Thanks for reading!

2. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I have had the exact same problem with 2 of my birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by