Poor Souls

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Jan 6, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Today was wethering day here in the barnyard. Nicky (renamed Alfie by his new family) and Low Boy were both purchased as wethers, so it was their fate.

So I have two boys out there crying their little heads off, flipping over trying to get the band off, and army crawling around. Poor souls!

Here are a couple recent pics of the boys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's why we always band our calves as newborns....doesn't phase them like it does when they're older.

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

4. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You can't wether goats until they're 8 weeks or they're way more likely to get UC. You have to give the urethra time to grow. Goats and cows - altho both ruminents - are very different.

We don't Burdizzo because it's not as effective in our opinion. You often have to repeat treatments. Banding is just a few moments of discomfort, too, until the area goes numb.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Since I've never had goats and wasn't familiar with the term, I had to look it up. So I have one question, why would you purchase goats to castrate? I grew up with a friend whose mom sold goats milk and homemade bread, so the one male goat was always whole and she found homes for any others born.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wethers (castrated male goats) are very very sweet and good pets, and you can still show them. Also, they tend to be cheaper than does or bucks, so if you just want a pet its the way to go, or if you just need some company for another animal.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Kanchii is right on. Bucks can be nasty creatures, stinking and being hormonal. If you're looking for a pet, a wether is the way to go. I've heard that ethnic people prefer intact goats and sheep for eating, but I don't sell goats for eating, so any extra boys (unless sold as sires per the buyer) are wethered at 8 weeks. This way they can stay with the herd with no danger of impregnating moms or sisters and make good pets.

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Poor boys. [​IMG] I banded Jack when we still had him and it's hard to see them go through that, but he was only uncomfortable for about 15 minutes and then went back to his normal bratty self. I couldn't imagine keeping an intact male around, specially since I don't breed. Even if I did I might just rent a buck rather then keep one around all the time.
    Cute goats Helmstead!

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We always use castrated males as companions for the horses at the track. They are calm, easy going, and are not a threat to the horses.
    K

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My little wether is a handful - he's cute as can be!

He gets SO excited when we go out with FOOD (morning and night) he runs laps around the pen/run - he bounces like he has springs on his feet, and generally annoys the horse [​IMG] He runs under her and between her legs.... it cracks me up!

As a pet, I think a wether is great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by