Poor things! Advice for debeaked pullets I got today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JLS, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    As I mentioned I got 2 pullets today. I am very sad to see that they have been debeaked [​IMG] One is not too bad but the other one has been maimed. What kind of food should I feed them - crumbles or pellets? Also, They have never been handled nicely and are very frightened of people. Will this change? Can I gain their trust?

I have never had birds that I didn't raise from chicks. They are at the point of lay so they're still young. Please help me with any knowledge you have on this subject. Thank you

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would stick with the layer crumbles for your de-beaked pullets, but they should be able to handl either--I just think the crumles would be easier for them. It is disappointing when you've raised chicks, and then you buy a few adult birds.....they are just not as tame. But with time, they will get used to you. I have mostly hens that I've raised from day old chicks, but I've also got a couple that I bought as pullets. They come running to me just like the whole flock, but they do stay out of reach. If you really work with them--like offering treats close to you, it does help, but they usually do stay just out of reach.

3. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    If it isn't too insensitive of me to ask, could you post a picture of them, please? I've heard af debeaking but never seen it. I'm knew to keeping chickens.

4. Chebidiah Chickens

Chebidiah Chickens New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Blackstone Valley
    My chicks were debeaked when I got them. they are now 20 weeks and all do fine on both. I have one hen that is very short and she does fine w/pellets. Actually with her bottom beak alot longer than her top, it works as a shovel when she is free ranging for bugs, so it works in her benefit. Your pullets should be fine

5. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:I wish I could get a good photo of them...they are much too skittish. If you search the web for debeaked chicken photos you'll see more than what makes most people comfortable. My bird's lower beak is considerably longer than the top beak. Basically her top beak has been cut off 1/4-1/2 inch below her nostils. So sad [​IMG]

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Still new to chickens, Why would someone debeak a chicken?

7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:It's to stop feather picking in small areas.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Most of the big egg or meat producers, will de-beak chicks because they keep the chickens in such tight quarters that the chicken will turn on each other. De-beaking makes it less likely that they harm each other. It is cruel.

9. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I agree it's very cruel. It pains me to look at their beaks...it brings me to tears. I know that I will give them a better home than they would've gotten otherwise. It's just not right to do that to any animal! I've seen some photos of slight beak trimming but this is anything but a trim. I'm sure there are people who would argue that it's good chicken management in these large facilities but I still think it's sad.

10. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Any chance this is painless, like trimming horse hooves? Giving the benefit of the doubt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by