Poorly black rock hen please help

trebby91

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
Hi all I am new her and new to keeping hens
I have 12 Black Rocks they are all 3 months old 10 are laying noticed a problem with one of them 2 days now it has not eaten runs over with the rest but will not eat, stands all day in the same spot feathers fluffed out with its back end downward pointing sometimes stands on one leg getting worried as I would hate to loose her. The crop seems empty could somebody please advise

I am sorry to hear this.
If you can, please answer these questions and this will help get to the problem:
-Is she skinny?
-Does she have mites?
-How is her stool (green, white, runny, bloody*(this is always important to know, it could be very serious!) etc...?
-When was the last time she laid an egg?
-What do you feed them? She may not be getting enough calcium, therefore, she may possibly be egg bound.
-When, if you have, wormed them last and with what?

Sorry for all the q's, but this will help us help you help her!! And that is always good!!
big_smile.png

Crystalchik

Does not feel skinny in relating to the other
No mites, dusted regular
Stool very runny white no blood
Laid 2 days ago
They probably get better fed than me! Layers Pellets, corn and everything that comes out of the kitchen.
Not been wormed as yet
In their own fenced area
Regards, brian

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....
Okay, do one more thing for me... palputate the abdominal area to see if you can feel an egg or crunching (egg shells). You will feel a bump higher up into her, but you will feel a definate egg if she is bound. You are feeding her the right food, but she is young and sometimes it happens!
How long is she been acting like this, can you take us through her symptoms day by day? and does she lay regularly?
Does she have a set nest where she likes to lay and if so has she been on and off, and maybe just sitting there?

Just been and had a look there is definitely no egg.
Noticed it yesterday threw down scraps she run over but did not eat.
Today she is just standing with the tail pointed downand all fluffed up.
With having 12 birds its difficult to say when she last laid but it would most likely be 3 days ago.
Normally 3 hens lay in the same box.
She has not made any moves to enter the box.
Regards Brian

Hmmm... well no egg is always good but, im stumped! Could you post a couple of really good pics of her, and close ups of her head and rump (sorry to ask you to do that:)
Is she showing any signs of an injury, swelling, etc...?
How is her breathing??

Hi, I tried to photograph them but the camera is rubbish I will borrow one for tomorrow.
The hen looks fine the vent is clean there are no injuries at all and no swelling that I can see.
Regards Brian

Last edited:
Hhhmmmmm...... I cant wait for the pics, she sounds fine! But obviously not though, and I will do my best to help you figure it out. If you would post the pics on this same thread so that I can find it tomorrow!! Lol
I hope she is okay and I wish you the best of luck with her tonight. Keep her warm and under a light if it gets cold, and if wont stress her out, then you might consider putting her in her own cage away from the stress of the others, then you can monitor her better.
Crystalchik

Posted a photo got the message Image uploaded successfully.
but I am unable to see it on here.
The hen remains the same not eating, standing away from the flock tail pointed in a downward direction, runs for food but will not eat. feather fluffed up sometimes put its head under it wing sometimes stands on is right leg only
crop empty, cannot feel an egg.
Regards Brian

Back
Top Bottom