Poorly Chicken - please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vinda, Oct 8, 2015.

1. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Hi everyone. One of my little bantams is poorly and I'm not 100% sure the vets diagnosis was right. Any advice would be really appreciated :)

So a week ago she stopped going in the coop at night. I thought she maybe injured herself so I lifted her in and out for a few nights and she ate and drank normally. A couple days layer she was lying on her side and couldn't get up and I noticed she was limping and a bit lopsided. I brought her inside and checked her legs, seemed fine (not that I'm an expert) her crop was really swollen and warm which panicked me so took her to vet next day. Her crop was normal again next day, vet said it sounded like she had rattling in her chest and had lost a lot of weight so prescribed medication for a chest. When I mentioned I was worried about her crop and asked also if worms could be the cause of the weight loss he said let's just treat her for everything to be sure (which made me feel like he wasn't sure what to treat her for)

She's eating and drinking fine but is still limping, lopsided and doesn't want to move far. My question is could a chest infection really cause these issues walking? I have no doubt she had a chest infection as she was breathing funnily but would that cause limping? I'm really worried we're missing what's really wrong with her :(

X

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes if the crop isn't functioning well they can sound a bit rattly at times. Dose she have any nasal drainage or watery eyes, or any sneezing? How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease, a virus that can cause lameness and problems with balance and walking? A slow crop can be common in sick birds.

3. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Hi Eggcessive, she has been vaccinated I'm pretty sure as the place I got her from is reputable and say they vaccinate their hens. Since you've mentioned it though I've had a read about Mareks and they say that it doesn't 100% prevent the disease. I've read through the symptoms and it sounds spot on... weight loss, respiratory problems, loose stoole, pale comb, staggering, inflamed crop (although this isn't a problem anymore). There isn't any discharge or anything no. I'm concerned now about Mareks. I never considered it because thought vaccinations protected fully. I'm scared for the rest of my flock too now. Why wouldn't the vet even mention Mareks when she has so many of the symptoms? I might call the vets tomorrow about it.

There is an article that says worms show similar symptoms to Mareks so I hope that's the problem instead but my gut says it's something more serious :(

X

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With chickens, it can be a guessing game, and sometimes we don't figure out the problem until a necropsy is done after death. The state vets or local vet college can do those to look for Mareks if she doesn't make it. There is also a blood test done by certain poultry centers such as Texas A&M, called a PCR test for Mareks. I would also start some poultry vitamins.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What drugs was she treated with?

-Kathy

6. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks Eggcessive I'll order some vitamins.

Kathy shed on tylan for the chest infection, flubenvet for worms and liquid paraffin for crop

X

7. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Ok so I got up this morning to check on her and she's gotten am awful lot worse. Cant stand, really heavy noisy breathing (almost like a rattle, hard to explain) and she keeps shaking her head every 10 secs.

I'm going to ring the vets but it's difficult to get someone with a good knowledge of chickens round here. Do you think she might be nearing the end? If she's in pain with no chance of getting back to normal I'd rather let her go peacefully by taKing her in to vets. She just seems really really poorly this morning :(

8. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    One of her legs seems completely paralysed now. No movement at all in it. I don't want to see her suffer should I let her go to sleep?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she is worse. Euthanasia is up to you, but I agree with not letting them suffer. If it is Mareks, then it is usually fatal, but each chicken is different. Your vet may be able to help you get her tested for Mareks since it can affect your other chickens. Mareks causes decreased immunity to many common illnesses that they sometimes can survive or be immune to.

10. vinda

vinda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Can they ever recover when it gets to the stage of leg paralyses do you know ? Her breathing isnt as bad now but still not great. If she isn't in pain id give her a few more days and give her poultry vitamins to see if she perks up but don't want to prolong the suffering if she is. From what I read mareks doesnt cause pain? Difficult to know what to do x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by