poorly chicken

parsnipples

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Hi i would really appreciate some advice, i have a young sussex light, she has been acting off for the last four days now. always wanting to sleep and her backend has been plucked of all feathers, also her vent is constantly pulsating, i have given her a few warm baths and also lubricated her vent in case she is eggbound, ive also given her acv and oregano and even yoghurt but all with no success. she has become really weak in the last hour or so and i doubt shes gonna make it through the night.....is there anything else i can do, shes such a sweet friendly bird and im really attatched to her .. please help x

Firstly, keep her indoors in a warm environment... she may be suffering from a number of problems, could be mites/lice, worms, vent gleet etc....

How did her feathers get plucked from her backside? Was she being victimised?

Any further information you can provide could be helpful to diagnose.....

Hi i would really appreciate some advice, i have a young sussex light, she has been acting off for the last four days now. always wanting to sleep and her backend has been plucked of all feathers, also her vent is constantly pulsating, i have given her a few warm baths and also lubricated her vent in case she is eggbound, ive also given her acv and oregano and even yoghurt but all with no success. she has become really weak in the last hour or so and i doubt shes gonna make it through the night.....is there anything else i can do, shes such a sweet friendly bird and im really attatched to her .. please help x

Put on some gloves/K-y gel and do a clocal exam,gently insert finger and see if you can feel a hard mass. keep giving warm water soaks,you can give a calcium pill or tums tablet this may help pass egg,keep her quiet and in a dark area.

Firstly, keep her indoors in a warm environment... she may be suffering from a number of problems, could be mites/lice, worms, vent gleet etc....

How did her feathers get plucked from her backside? Was she being victimised?

Any further information you can provide could be helpful to diagnose.....

Im unsure as to how she lost her feathers. i removed her from the flock three days sago and currently have her in a covered dogcrate in a warm quiet place. her abdomen feels quite hot. she has really gone downhill since her last soak and she didnt seem to enjoy it as before. i dried her fully, within ten miniutes she collapsed onto her side. shes sleeping now but is very weak and her legs and comb seem very cool. i scared shes going to pass away tonight. im so worried and sad.

i did this two days ago now. and i couldnt feel anything like an egg. i dont want to do this again, im really worried about disturbing her again.

Put on some gloves/K-y gel and do a clocal exam,gently insert finger and see if you can feel a hard mass. keep giving warm water soaks,you can give a calcium pill or tums tablet this may help pass egg,keep her quiet and in a dark area.

i did this two days ago now. and i couldnt feel anything like an egg. i dont want to do this again, im really worried about disturbing her again tonight.

Im unsure as to how she lost her feathers. i removed her from the flock three days sago and currently have her in a covered dogcrate in a warm quiet place. her abdomen feels quite hot. she has really gone downhill since her last soak and she didnt seem to enjoy it as before. i dried her fully, within ten miniutes she collapsed onto her side. shes sleeping now but is very weak and her legs and comb seem very cool. i scared shes going to pass away tonight. im so worried and sad.

She may have egg peritonitis,this is when the egg material is deposited in the abdomen creating an infection. I will be honest,the outcome is not good,make her as comfortable as you can,offer her water/feed. If you have a hot water bottle,fill with warm water,cover with a pillow case and place beside her,give her aspirin for pain relief( baby 81mg or reg 325mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water. There is information on forums regarding draining the abdomen of fluid.

She may have egg peritonitis,this is when the egg material is deposited in the abdomen creating an infection. I will be honest,the outcome is not good,make her as comfortable as you can,offer her water/feed. If you have a hot water bottle,fill with warm water,cover with a pillow case and place beside her,give her aspirin for pain relief( baby 81mg or reg 325mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water. There is information on forums regarding draining the abdomen of fluid.

She wont drink at all, and its like she doesnt even want to open her eyes. i have put a warm water bottle in her crate with her. Im really hoping for a miracle. poor Mavis x

I am so dreadfully sorry that you are having to deal with this... she may well not make it through. but please rest assured that you are doing all that you can to help her be comfortable in the meantime... if she makes it through to another day then there is hope that she will get better. All you can do right now is to keep her warm and stress free.......

Praying for you both

You can try dropping a little water onto her beak...she may respond in opening her beak and taking in some water.

Back
Top Bottom