poorly chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hector92, Mar 12, 2014.

1. hector92

hector92 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Hi everyone I have a very poorly chicken she roughly about 15 years old. She won't eat, drink or stand she very weak and struggling to breath. I dont know wants wrong with her. She been like it for12 hours she had a bit of strength yesterday but today she just lying there. Has she come to the end

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

15 years?? WOW!!! I would say you have done EVERYTHING right over the years and it is her time to pass. I don't think there is much you can do for her at this point. At 15 years old, her battery is no doubt run out, her organs are tired. If she were my bird, I would keep her as comfortable as possible. Once they get to the point of struggling to breathe, aren't drinking or eating, they are shutting down. So you can get her under some heat and keep her quiet. You gave her a WONDERFUL life. Wow....I hope I can get some of my favorite feathered friends to 15 years.

Many hugs to you...[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about your old girl not doing well, TwoCrows gave you some good advice, it sounds like you have done a wonderful job with your chicken to have her reach that age.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. She's had a good life to reach that age. Put her in a warm, quiet place and see if she will drink.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] she would probably feel better in the house for her remaining days, warm and safe, and maybe interested in the household activities.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    15 years? Holy cow, I didn't think chickens lasted that long. I'd bring her inside and spoil her rotten and then let her pass. [​IMG]

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is your hen this morning?

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

We must have scared him off! That was his first and last post.........

I am curious about how accurate he is on his hen's age.....

10. hector92

hector92 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    My name is kim. Hector is my cockereals name.
    Sorry didnt reply sooner we've had some chicks so been putting them first.
    Unfortunately she past away we made her very comfortable with heat lamp and plenty of bedding I sat with her all the way so she wasn't alone.
    I got her when i was 7 she was only 12 week old now im 22 that how I now her age.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by