Poorly chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarahuk79, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Sarahuk79

Sarahuk79 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Staffordshire, UK
    Hello.

My name is Sarah and I have two beautiful ladies, burger and nugget (very original I know!), our very first pair of chickens, which we have had since May.

Obviously being novices to chicken keeping, we are hoping for a bit of help with our lovely 'burger'. She's had a couple of problems since we got her, these being limping, mainly with her left foot, the most recent occasion required a trip to the vets, to be told it wasn't broken, and that she just needed to rest. 6 weeks later, she's now on the mend, however she seems to be taking a downhill spiral in another problem.

She's been quiet with laying in the last few weeks, which I put down to the poorly leg. There have been approximately 2/3 per week, instead of her usual daily lay. She hasn't laid now for about a week. In the last couple of days, she's stopped eating, has gone lethargic, and isn't really pooing - very rare as we all know when it comes to chickens!

I kept her in a crate today to rest, which she luckily did, and this evening, she started walking around a bit, but the odd poo she did do, was clear, watery liquid, with the usual white urate. I noticed that she was trying to poo, but it wasn't coming out, so I grabbed a latex glove, and helped her. I managed to pull out, what can only be described out an extremely soft egg shell with something fairly solid inside, I can't even tell what it could be. I've just put her in her coop to allow her some more rest, but I honestly do not know what I can do to help her, or to even begin with my next steps.

Is anyone aware what this May be? Any help is greatly appreciated

Sarah

(Ps, sorry for the graphic detail!)

2. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I have a few questions which might help to narrow things down a bit.
    What breed are your hens and how old are they?
    Did you get them as chicks, point of lay pullets, or fully laying hens? (If so, were they 'rescue' hens?)
    Has she eaten something different to usual - have you given any unusual treats or kitchen scraps?
    Is it possible that she could have found some old mouldy food (or something else) anywhere?
    Has she shown signs of an impacted crop (does it still feel full in the morning when it should feel empty, or does it feel very hard and solid?)
    Does her belly feel solid, swollen, squishy or normal?

And finally a pretty bizarre but quite important question - what does her poo smell like? [​IMG] If it has a bizarre almost sweet, sickly but not disgusting smell then it could be indicative of an infection like clostridium perfringens.

The soft shelled solid egg type thing is quite bizarre - did you cut it open to see what was inside, and did you take any photos?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. Sarahuk79

Sarahuk79 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Staffordshire, UK
    Hello KayTee

Thank you for coming back to me.

Here are the answers to your questions:

What breed are your hens and how old are they? - They are sex linked, about 1 and a half years old

Did you get them as chicks, point of lay pullets, or fully laying hens? (If so, were they 'rescue' hens?) - They were fully laying when my friends gave them to me - they had them from chicks.

Has she eaten something different to usual - have you given any unusual treats or kitchen scraps? Is it possible that she could have found some old mouldy food (or something else) anywhere? - Definitely nothing unusual as far as I'm aware, she has her usual layers pellets, and the odd vegetable scraps, but scraps weren't given recently.

Has she shown signs of an impacted crop (does it still feel full in the morning when it should feel empty, or does it feel very hard and solid?) - To be honest, I only felt her crop for the first time tonight, after discovering it may help figure out what may be wrong with her, it felt empty, and I'm assuming this is normal as she hasn't eaten for at least two days?

Does her belly feel solid, swollen, squishy or normal? - Her tummy felt normal, or definitely no different to her normal

I did notice that she kept on clenching her bottom muscles as if still trying to pass something after I pulled out the item. Whether there is something still in there, or its just the after-effects, I don't know.

I should also add, that in the last 4 weeks or so, she has laid 3 or 4 soft eggs, that broke as she laid them, I tried to give her oyster shells to combat this, but she really isn't bothered by them.

I haven't taken a photo of the soft egg thing, but I have kept it, as a 'just in case' so a photo would be possible if needed. Her poo smells usual (strong, but not in an infected way)

I hope this may help

Thank you so much
    Sarah

4. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I would suggest a bath for 15-20 min in warm water maybe some Epsom salts might help to relieve some of the straining, sounds like she's been egg bound. Was the egg fully in tact when you got it out or was it squished and broke inside her?

5. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    A warm bath wouldn't be a bad idea. It can relax the chicken and help her to pass anything that may still be stuck. Don't make it too hot, and try to make it deep enough so that it comes around halfway up her body - the more of her that is in the bath the more effective it will be.

6. Sarahuk79

Sarahuk79 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Staffordshire, UK
    Thank you KayTee and Nutty Boo for your responses.

I will definitely try her in a warm bath tomorrow.

I've just had another look at the thing that she passed, I have taken a photo and was hoping this may help? It seems to have what may be a soft egg shell, but whatever is inside is not soft

[​IMG]

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Try giving her some calcium ...Vitamin D3..you can buy this from any chemist in the UK...powder form in her drinking water...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by