poorly chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenx86, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jenx86

jenx86 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    Hello, I have a chicken who has stopped eating and drinking and is always sleepy and now can only walk a few steps before falling head first into the floor or onto her right side. She has lost weight due to not eating, she will only take honey water and that's if she has her beak opened and the water put in her mouth. Can anyone give me any ideas what it could be? She is currently away from the coop qnd in a box at home to try and make her better. I am starting to think the worse but Hoping someone could help me bring her back to health.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Could be lots of things. Give her an overall exam from beak to tail. Is she pooping? Is there blood in the poop? Diarrhea? Does she stand fluffed up? Does she have any respiratory ailments like runny nose, rattles in the lungs, coughing, gasping for air? Look for mites around the vent, under the wings and at the vent area. Have you wormed her recently? Check her for egg binding....put on a latex glove with some vaseline or ky jelly on the index finger and gently insert your finger into her vent. If there is a stuck egg, you will feel it there. Was she injured anywhere?

Does any of these fit her right now? She may not make it much longer. How old is she?

You need to start a new thread here in our Emergency section. Click here to start a new thread there...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

These are the questions they are going to ask you in the emergency section. I hope someone can help you with her. For now, keep her inside and warm. [​IMG]

3. jenx86

jenx86 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    Hello, I have a chicken who has stopped eating and drinking and is always sleepy and now can only walk a few steps before falling head first into the floor or onto her right side. She has lost weight due to not eating, she will only take honey water and that's if she has her beak opened and the water put in her mouth. Can anyone give me any ideas what it could be? She is currently away from the coop qnd in a box at home to try and make her better. I am starting to think the worse but Hoping someone could help me bring her back to health.she is showing no signs of injury or illness, not got runny nose, no eggs stuck, pooing Ok and no blood

4. jenx86

jenx86 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    No mites either

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Click on that link I left for you. That will take you to starting a thread in our emergency section. You will get more input on this there. [​IMG]

6. jenx86

jenx86 New Egg

Oct 30, 2014
    Yeah thanks done that. Really worried about her. I don't want to lose her, just noticed most people are American on here does it matter that I am UK based.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Doesn't matter one bit! We are all one community here and strive to help everyone we can no matter where you from.

I wish I knew what the problem might be with your hen. [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I"m sorry to hear about your bird! [​IMG]TwoCrows has given you some good advice.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck to you![​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your bird is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by