Poorly duck please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hannahsarah90, Aug 21, 2013.

1. hannahsarah90

hannahsarah90 New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi can any one help. My pet runner duck doesn't seem well. It has it's beak constantly open as if it can't breath properly, it's not eatting and keeps making a barking yelp kind of noise hard to describe. I can't see or feel any thing lodged. It tummy feels like it has hiccups. Doesn't any one know what it could be? Hoping to take it to the vets this evening. Thanks

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Hi welcome to BYC. Does he have a deep enough water container to completely dunk his head? Ducks need to keep their noses cleaned out. What does he eat? Does he have access to water while he is eating?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I cannot think of anything certain, but some possibilities might be gapeworm, something has scratched his throat, or an infection.

Is he drinking? If so, get some vitamins in the water. I would get him into a lukewarm bath, and observe for more symptoms. How does his breath smell? Is he pooping? How long has this been happening?

I need to step away from the computer for a while..... I hope he pulls through, and when I get back if I can think of other ideas I will let you know.

4. hannahsarah90

hannahsarah90 New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi it started Tuesday afternoon. She is a free range duck, there is a pond which is cleaned regular, a hut which has fresh straw daily and clean drinking water twice a day. She lives with 4 other ducks 3 female and 1 male they have all been together since chicks all unrelated all other ducks are fine. she eats pellets, veg and hunts around the garden for insects. I have nt used any weed killers or any thing like that. The pond has no filler or any thing which could harm her. We have got some flubenvet to see if it is gapeworm. Her breath doesn't smell unnormal. She won't sit in a bath to observe and I haven't seen her poo. She was just sitting on the grass all day beak open as if panting and gasping when breathing. It's not warm out. I have been Giving her water In a syringe so she doesn't dehydrate. Not seen her eat only the strawberry I cut in tiny pieces out of my hand. Not heard her quack which she normally does just a little raspy bark followed by beak opening and been slower than normal.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any luck getting in to see the vet?

It may be something is stuck in her esophagus. I don't want to scare you, but it could be she has hardware disease, having eaten something sharp and metal.

6. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    How is she doing today? How old is she? Have you noticed any wheezing? Is there any chance she has been around anything moldy? I'm not sure where you are, but here it has rained a lot. The humidity is extremely high and things are molding quicker than normal. I'm on high alert!

I'm with Amiga about getting her to a vet. I hope she has not swallowed any metal, but it is possible.

7. hannahsarah90

hannahsarah90 New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi she is still the same really. We have given her flubenvet to see if it's gape worm. I can't see or feel any thing in her neck that could be stuck. She is eatting and pooing so I can't see some thing been stuck. We are in Yorkshire, England. They have a pond but we clean it weekly. They are in a big garden with a shed, hutch and barn.we got her a a duckling in December. All the other ducks are fine no symptoms. It is wheezing yes. Shall breathing, standing up to do a little bark noise and wiggles her bum then sits down and has her beak open all the time.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you buy unpasteurized Apple Cider vinegar over there? put some into their water 1-2 Tab to 1 gallon can work as an antibiotic and also help with bacteria. This could need more medical attention but if you have some on hand or can get some pretty easy sure worth a try. http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/what-to-keep-in-stock/apple-cider-vinegar

9. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    X2

10. hannahsarah90

hannahsarah90 New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Well our runner seemed to be getting better eatting, not having her beak open as much, following the other ducks a little. Then my partner went into the garden today and saw her having a fit. Tried to help her but sadly it passed away. So now questioning what was wrong with her. she was been treated for gapeworm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by